Why should I choose the Surface 3 over Ipad Air 2 ?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I'm having a really hard time to choose one of the tablets above.

I'll explain why : I'm looking for a tablet that will help me with my studying, but I'm not looking for a tablet that will replace my laptop. I feel like the surface 3, with its version of OneNote, is somehow perfect for me (mainly for the maths add-on, I plan to use the tablet mainly for my maths courses actually) but I find it a bit too large ( 10.8 vs 9.7 for the iPad, knowing that I was going for the mini 4 when I started looking for tablets ...) and I know that the windows store is no match to the appstore when it comes to tablet apps.

The fact that OneNote is available on iPad, that we can find some alternate pens and keyboards for the iPad air 2, makes me wonder weither I'm making the right decision by choosing the Surface 3.

Is Surface 3 good enough for a student who's not looking to replace his laptop, but who's looking to have a device that will make his student life easier ? Does the windows store have apps for students that are somehow useful ?

Thanks !

N10ash

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Our school gave us iPad Air 2s to use in all of our classes to replace textbooks and what not (freshman in high school), and I hate it. Hate it so much that I bought a laptop to use instead. The surface 3 is a full, albeit not that powerful, computer. I wish our school gave us the surface 3 instead just because you can do so much more. For programs, it can run any program you can run on your laptop or desktop as it uses an Intel x86 processor. Just spend 600 bucks and get the 128 GB version with 4GB RAM. Also, you might be able to get Windows 10 Education from your school for free, so you can get even more features. So at the end of the day, you either get a tablet that excels at media consumption or a weakish laptop in a tablet form factor.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
With the SP3, SP4, or Surface Book, you have both. I have a SP3 and use it as a laptop when at work or (like now) sitting watching TV. When I go to bed, or I am on a plane I detach the keyboard and use it as a tablet. It's versatile enough that my daughter can do her homework on it while we're stuck in traffic, then pull off the keyboard, break out the pen and start drawing when she is done with her homework.

Something you can't do with any version of the iPad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077