Replacing my MacBook Pro and IPad Air "thoughts and Advise"

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, so I'm looking at replacing my iPad and MacBook Air for a surface pro 4.

I generally use my iPad for social networking, surfing the web and checking email. The MacBook is used for office tasks, photo editing and converting my ripped blue ray disks to be put on my nas drive. I also do a few other bits and bobs on the Mac too.

The iPad is what I use mostly though and it pretty much glued to me when at home.

I've been watching videos and reading reviews on both the pro 4 and mostly pro 3 (as the pro 4 isn't out just yet) so I've been doing my research.

The general size as a tablet has me a little worried with the surface but I'm sure I'd get used to carrying it around as a tablet.

The touch cover keyboard is also of concern as I use the Mac on my lap mostly and I'm concerned that the keyboard would be rocking all over the place while typing on my lap.

Generally I thing it makes sense to merge 2 devices into one and what with what MS have been doing I think it's finally time to move back to the Windows family, I have an Xbox and am also looking at ditching my iPhone for a lumia too but first on the list would be the laptop/tablet that needs sorting first.

Any users out there that have done what I'm thinking of doing or general thoughts or mini reviews would be generally appreciated.

Thanks

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Surface user since the first SP1. Never looked back. The ultimate device for me is a tablet that can replace a heavy, clunky, not always needed keyboard, laptop.

I don't type on my lap. I don't like to and don't need to. You might want to look at Surface Book if you need something more for typing on your lap.

Christopher_He

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
You might want to look at Surface Book if you need something more for typing on your lap.
Not for his usecase. He wants tablet first experience and surface pro 4 is the right choice for that. Surface book has only ~3 hours of batterylife in tablet mode.

I think you should wait till reviews for the device arrive and check what they say about the new type cover. It looks way better than previous versions. Or, if you have a Microsoft store near you, you can go and check it out.
I own a surface pro 2 and i had to get used to use it on my lap. But after a while it works quiet well even with the second generation and fixed kickstand positions. So I guess it should be not that much of a concern with the pro 3/4.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Surface owner since the first generation, and now have an SP3 with a 4 on pre-order. The Surface is definitely not the most lap-friendly device out there with the keyboard attached, but you do get accustomed to it. The new stiffer keyboard will help that because of the reduced flexibility in your lap. I've checked the keyboard out at the store, and I can't wait to get it.

Like you, I'm a tablet first guy, and my SP3 is glued to me at home. I also owned the first 3 generations of the iPad, and I was very fond of them. However, there's nothing like having one device that can do everything well. No question that the size and weight will seem odd at first, but you'll get used to that quickly. You should go to the nearest Microsoft store and check them out. They'll be happy to let you play around with it for a while.

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Replacing my MacBook Pro and IPad Air "thoughts and Advise"

I wish there was a MS store here in the UK, not sure why there isn't to be honest.

I just popped into a local department store where there was a pro 3. Had a good play and a chat with a MS trained staff member.

I'm very impressed and think it will replace the iPad well.

I love that kick stand!

I would imagine that the tablet mode within Windows 10 will improve over time with constant updates.

It all rides on the keyboard, the pro 3 version didn't feel too bad but know where near what I want.

The track pad is way too small but we know that has increased in size so that's a plus.

The pro 4 isn't out here in the UK until the 12th November so a good 2 weeks or so after the US which gives it time for all you guys in the US to do some YouTube videos and reviews on it all while I wait until the 12th.

Last edited:

Carl Yearwood

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I replaced my Macbook air and ipad with the surface pro 3. When it used windows 8.1 I was definitely disappointed, but, with windows 10 the surface is finally good at both worlds. The final problem is that windows does not have as good apps as IOS. Even aps like VLC is better on IOS than the windows version. You can however use the desktop VLC.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The Apple community is very special in nature - many users would not go back to Windows once they have used the Mac, because they think Apple is the best.

You and I are some of the exceptions. Had been using iPad from its 1st gen to iPad mini2/iPad Air + MacbookAir + iMac, until Surface Pro came out in 2012.

Have sold all my Apple devices to my friends at very cheap prices. I feel very good now. :)

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a 15" Retina MBP, and an iPad Air. I just gave my original Surface Pro (first gen) to a friend at work, and own an SP3. While my Surfaces have replaced my MBP almost 100%, from the beginning, the light interface and weight of the iPad Air is still better for consuming information; web surfing, Netflix, etc., in my opinion. As a touch first interface, I still find iOS to be better without a trackpad/mouse and keyboard. When I actually need to do something, it's the Surface. I have a Surface Book on order, but in all honesty, I still don't expect it will replace my iPad. I have no plans to buy a silly iPad Pro, because there is nothing Pro about iOS, but it is a nice touch interface that Windows 8 couldn't replace, and Windows 10 went further from. Again, these are just my opinions.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
keep the air & get a surface pro 3/4 - as much as i like MS products and have a lot of them - you still cant beat the ipad imho for ease of use and pickup for some things.

i use sp3 and ipad air. perfect combo - i did try and let the sp3 replace the ipad, but it couldn't so i got real, not idealistic

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you are big on lap functionality, a Surface Pro won't be your best option. The kickstand is tough to balance on a non-level plane like one's legs.

Should you want something better-suited for lap use, look into the competing devices. They often involve something like the Surface Book--starts as a laptop, then gaining tablet functionality. That would be like the Dell XPS and Lenovo Yoga lines.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you are big on lap functionality, a Surface Pro won't be your best option. The kickstand is tough to balance on a non-level plane like one's legs.

Should you want something better-suited for lap use, look into the competing devices. They often involve something like the Surface Book--starts as a laptop, then gaining tablet functionality. That would be like the Dell XPS and Lenovo Yoga lines.

That was my thought too. There are a lot more devices than just the Surface line. Others may be a better balance. (But I'm not an expert so can't make a good suggestion). In the Surface line the Surface Pro 4 is likely best. Get the newer one for the Windows Hello functionality and updated CPU etc.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The Apple community is very special in nature - many users would not go back to Windows once they have used the Mac, because they think Apple is the best.

You and I are some of the exceptions. Had been using iPad from its 1st gen to iPad mini2/iPad Air + MacbookAir + iMac, until Surface Pro came out in 2012.

Have sold all my Apple devices to my friends at very cheap prices. I feel very good now. :)

A quick English lesson...
COURAGE
cour?age
[ˈkərij] (n) - Read quoted post.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have had friends that lived in Apple's ecosystem for years, just like I have done with Microsoft. Lately (especially around the second half of this year), more and more of them are seriously considering either grabbing either Surface device and/or 950/950XL. What's been keeping them back for so long is migrating accounts and info or Snapchat. I think they finally understand that migrating info is pretty simple if done right, and Snapchat is becoming a bore for them...

I say make the jump. Haven't seen anyone complain at all

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Surface owner since the first generation, and now have an SP3 with a 4 on pre-order. The Surface is definitely not the most lap-friendly device out there with the keyboard attached, but you do get accustomed to it. The new stiffer keyboard will help that because of the reduced flexibility in your lap. I've checked the keyboard out at the store, and I can't wait to get it.

Like you, I'm a tablet first guy, and my SP3 is glued to me at home. I also owned the first 3 generations of the iPad, and I was very fond of them. However, there's nothing like having one device that can do everything well. No question that the size and weight will seem odd at first, but you'll get used to that quickly. You should go to the nearest Microsoft store and check them out. They'll be happy to let you play around with it for a while.

Talldog, you saved me a lot of typing because, like you, I own an iPad (first 2 generations) and I was fond of them. But I longed for a device to do everything. I hesitated getting a Surface Pro 3 because I just was not a fan of the type cover. However, I was so wrong because you do get used to after awhile. I only use my iPad for one app that is currently not available but even that app has a Windows beta and when it becomes available my iPad will be permanently retired.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I've never used a Surface Pro before, is tablet use in Windows 10 at all like using an iOS or Android tablet? What I mean by that is using an iOS or Android tablet surfing the web with your hands is simple, convenient and fast. Is it like this with a surface pro? Honest answers please, no bias if possible. I find both I.E. (when I was running 8.1) and Edge in the technical preview to be very clunky and slow compared to Chrome and Safari on my other devices and I really am interested in an SP4 but wonder about normal tablet web browsing usage.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a Surface Pro before, is tablet use in Windows 10 at all like using an iOS or Android tablet? What I mean by that is using an iOS or Android tablet surfing the web with your hands is simple, convenient and fast. Is it like this with a surface pro? Honest answers please, no bias if possible. I find both I.E. (when I was running 8.1) and Edge in the technical preview to be very clunky and slow compared to Chrome and Safari on my other devices and I really am interested in an SP4 but wonder about normal tablet web browsing usage.
There is no WordFlow keyboard for Windows 10 on tablets. Nor are there any 3rd party keyboards like SwiftKey or Swype.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to worry about the Typecover moving around if you're typing on your lap or anything. It's solid enough to where it holds its form in just about any position. Don't let something like that stop you from getting a superior product!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That was my thought too. There are a lot more devices than just the Surface line. Others may be a better balance. (But I'm not an expert so can't make a good suggestion). In the Surface line the Surface Pro 4 is likely best. Get the newer one for the Windows Hello functionality and updated CPU etc.

The CPU thing's a very simple lookup. You'll see a lot of identical hardware in similarly priced devices. It also is a lot about brand preference and what you can stomach. My mom got a Yoga 3, but I have a hard time tolerating Lenovo after the malware scandal. I won't ever buy HP after the one laptop I had, because their product quality and customer service were the sorriest thing I ever experienced. Lucky for me, I don't need a mobile PC and build my own desktops, so those negative experiences aren't hurting me.

I'll also say that I don't know how I feel on the SP4, compared to the SP3. Windows Hello does NOTHING for me. I don't care about its functionality in general. To me, if I wanted it, I'd but the fingerprint sensor keyboard. I say that because for most people, the SP3 will be much cheaper as stock is cleared out and the secondhand market gets flooded, and it'll functionally be more than enough for the general public. Me, I'd try to snag a cheap SP3 and that fingerprint Type Cover, over throwing extra money at horsepower I won't touch. The only thing that might give me pause is I'd like the colored Surface Pen, probably. IDK if I'd get it or not though. I'm curious as to how they'll handle that--if you buy a SP4, can you pick your pen, or do you have to buy a second pen because the thing comes with a silver one every time, making it a waste of money and a pen for consumers who want the colored options? Also, can the new pens and their full sensitivity work on the SP3?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The CPU thing's a very simple lookup. You'll see a lot of identical hardware in similarly priced devices. It also is a lot about brand preference and what you can stomach. My mom got a Yoga 3, but I have a hard time tolerating Lenovo after the malware scandal. I won't ever buy HP after the one laptop I had, because their product quality and customer service were the sorriest thing I ever experienced. Lucky for me, I don't need a mobile PC and build my own desktops, so those negative experiences aren't hurting me.

I'll also say that I don't know how I feel on the SP4, compared to the SP3. Windows Hello does NOTHING for me. I don't care about its functionality in general. To me, if I wanted it, I'd but the fingerprint sensor keyboard. I say that because for most people, the SP3 will be much cheaper as stock is cleared out and the secondhand market gets flooded, and it'll functionally be more than enough for the general public. Me, I'd try to snag a cheap SP3 and that fingerprint Type Cover, over throwing extra money at horsepower I won't touch. The only thing that might give me pause is I'd like the colored Surface Pen, probably. IDK if I'd get it or not though. I'm curious as to how they'll handle that--if you buy a SP4, can you pick your pen, or do you have to buy a second pen because the thing comes with a silver one every time, making it a waste of money and a pen for consumers who want the colored options? Also, can the new pens and their full sensitivity work on the SP3?

Things may do NOTHING for you, but for others (like OP) they could be the best thing since sliced bread.

For me, buying old hardware is a silly choice. If you're buying a Surface, buy the latest. Lots of things are better. Longer battery. Fast CPU options. Better graphics. Smaller. Lighter. Better pens. The list goes on.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Things may do NOTHING for you, but for others (like OP) they could be the best thing since sliced bread.

For me, buying old hardware is a silly choice. If you're buying a Surface, buy the latest. Lots of things are better. Longer battery. Fast CPU options. Better graphics. Smaller. Lighter. Better pens. The list goes on.

I agree here, I'm not a fan of buying old tech. It is already outdated when you buy it, and will be obsolete sooner, for the most part. You may up saving some money in the short term, but having to purchase more often to keep running current software, at an acceptable level. You might save some money, but unless it is a smoking deal on fairly recent hardware, it may not be worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb