Skylake GPU results

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I know the Surface Pro 4 isn't intended to be a gaming machine, however that doesn't mean you can't do some on the side! :)

Could anyone who has the i5 and i7 models post some game/FPS results?

Here are just a few games I am curious about (but certainly you can include others):

Heroes of the Storm
Star Wars Battlefront (I guess you'll have to wait till launch now that Beta is over to test it)
Company of Heroes 2
World of Warships
Warframe

Thanks in advance!

mrmeyer

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm curious, too. My gaming is old-school, Ultima Online and Civilation IV, so nothing new or demanding. On my SP3, gaming is snappy at first, then really starts to drag as it heats up (since I don't play often, I thought this was some sort of cache problem until I read of cpu thermal throttling).

For older games like this, is throttling still an issue?

darknyght00

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to try out League of Legends tonight, If i get the time maybe Heroes of the Storm / Starcraft2.

I threw on League of Legends for a couple custom bot games to see if I could dial in the graphics before playing with real people and ran into something odd. Graphics and framerate look great at about medium but all the text labels are scaling incorrectly (super huge). If I dial it down in the windows display settings, league looks ok (if a bit small for non label text like the store or tooltips) but then other windows stuff is tiny. If you come across a better fix for this, I'd be very interested in that information.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
So are the i5 and i7 skylake processors exacly the same in SP4 and Surface book? Trying to compare the 2 since i can't decide which to buy...

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
For those wonder I did find a YouTube channel by a guy named josher14 who has a Core i5 Surface Pro 4, 8GB Ram and he is uploading a ton of game videos to show how it games. I believe the i5 Model has the HD 520 Graphics where the i7 has the Iris 540.

That aside the Core i5 Model alone already does really great and it is almost hard to believe it is integrated graphics! I'm getting optimistic!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I threw on League of Legends for a couple custom bot games to see if I could dial in the graphics before playing with real people and ran into something odd. Graphics and framerate look great at about medium but all the text labels are scaling incorrectly (super huge). If I dial it down in the windows display settings, league looks ok (if a bit small for non label text like the store or tooltips) but then other windows stuff is tiny. If you come across a better fix for this, I'd be very interested in that information.

I think you can run the compatibility troubleshooter and have it automatically scale down for you. You have to right click the executable and then run a wizard. Unfortunately, there is no advanced mode where you can pick DPI so you have to answer some dumbed down questions.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
There's also the option to right click the executable (not the shortcut) and then in the compatibility mode tab instead of running the wizard just select disable scaling for high DPI.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There's also the option to right click the executable (not the shortcut) and then in the compatibility mode tab instead of running the wizard just select disable scaling for high DPI.

I must have missed that. I only saw the compatibility troubleshooter.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The Iris 540 is pretty strong.

"The exact performance of the Iris Graphics 540 depends on various factors like memory configuration (DDR3/DDR4) and maximum clock rate of the specific model. The fastest versions (Core i7-6650U) should be slightly ahead of a dedicated GeForce 920M and will handle modern games (as of 2015) in low or medium settings."

darknyght00

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

Almost, but not quite. Unfortunately, both this and the dumbed down setting change every instance of scaling for the game EXCEPT the effected text labels. It seems this is something Riot's going to have to fix in a future patch (sooner rather than later would be good).

On the plus side, the actual game does run rather well on medium settings without any issues that I could detect and cooling is somewhat remarkable. I played a 40 minute match which normally has my macbook trying to cool down for a significant amount of time afterwards but less than about a minute post-game, the fan shut back down and the body was just barely warm and is now cool to the touch as I type this. If Riot can get their **** together, I think this will work just fine as my new portable gaming rig.

EDIT: i5, 8GB RAM model if anyone is searching for this sort of info

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone has a link to some real benchmark tests of the new processors, gpu, ram, overall? Just wanna see how do they compare to others...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb