charging port and cable

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
how's the latest charging connector and port? after owning a surface rt and a surface pro, i vowed i'd not even consider another surface until the terrible connector and port were re-designed. how are they on this latest surface? looks pretty much the same to me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the 4, but the Pro 3 had a completely redesigned plug and the Surface 3 just had a standard microUSB.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I hate the charging connectors as well. They never seem to sit well, no matter the angle. Also, the SP3 cable sheath pulled away from the connector on my SP3 (and many others, it is a design flaw). I am super careful and mostly have my device on a desk so it is not abusing the device.

The SP3 cable was an upgrade from the SP1 connector for sure. It stays in a lot better.

Anyways, the sP4 cable is identical to the SP3. Hoping they made the connecot sheath less bad this time. Doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
We have a selection of Surface 3 Pro devices within the business and, so far, we've not had to change 1 charger. Personally I really like the SP3 charger, with the SP4 being the same, due to the additional USB slot for phone charging along with the ease at which the plug connects. All you have to do it place it and wait 1 second to ensure the light turns on. Perfect.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
good news then. not only was the sp1 cable and port bad, mine actually caught fire. but it sounds like the 3 generation pro fixed the port and cable issues. i'll have to make a trip to the local microsoft store and give the 4 a look-see. thanks for the replies.

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
how's the latest charging connector and port? after owning a surface rt and a surface pro, i vowed i'd not even consider another surface until the terrible connector and port were re-designed. how are they on this latest surface? looks pretty much the same to me.
I upgraded from a surface pro. The new charger is miles better. No more wiggling to get it to fit. It just magnets right into place. All you have to do is get the charger close.to the port and let go.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My only concern for the current cord design is wear & tear. I wish they'd maybe give the cord a right angle or something, my Surface RT cord has a short in it from being bent at awkward angles over time --- it takes me minutes of moving the cord around to get my RT to charge now, so I can only charge it when its not in use really. So far I just try and keep my Surface Pro 4 positioned so that the cord doesn't bend right at the connection point..

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
While the magnetic connection is handy, I'd gladly give it up in favor of a micro USB socket. Most people have several such chargers lying around making leaving your charger at home less problematic and it would give you another USB connection for data when needed.

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
While the magnetic connection is handy, I'd gladly give it up in favor of a micro USB socket. Most people have several such chargers lying around making leaving your charger at home less problematic and it would give you another USB connection for data when needed.
I feel like I read that a micro USB isn't powerful enough to run an sp4. The charger for the sp4 is 65w.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

The issue with Micro USB is that OTHER cables wouldn't be able to handle the power... Of course MS could have made the micro usb cable and charger for the SP4, but any other person would say "Oh, I forgot mine at home. I'll just use my Samsung or old blackberry charger!" plug it in, then complain why it doesn't work. Or even take their own personal cable (not charger) and plug it into the adapter and watch the cable burn and melt haha. Then they'd complain how something is defective and then... PR Nightmare. I think MS did the right thing. I for one wouldn't make that mistake, but I'm more tech-savvy than most normal people.... I totally see them assuming since it's Micro USB then all chargers and cables are valid! Right? Wrong! haha.

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Fine...even if you did need your super special Microsoft approved micro USB charger, having that port would still leave you with the option of having two USB ports for data and accessories.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle