Question about start up

RunMasterRy

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have a quick question about the start up about the surface pro 4.
When I bought the device yesterday I simply clicked the power button and it simply turned on. I did the set up and went to work. When I got home once again I simply pressed the power button and it turned on. I used it for a couple hours and no problem. Then after a couple of hours without using it I went to press the button and nothing, it doesn't turn on. Now I have to hold the power button down for like 30-45 seconds then it powers up. Once its powered up I can then press the power button to turn it on and off. So simply put after a couple hours of the surface pro 4 not in use I have the hold down the power until it turns on.

Is this normal? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

macdon2

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Seeing the exact same problem. My theory is that its related to when sleep mode turns into hibernation mode, which is set deep in the power settings. So if you turn the SP4 on and off a in under a few hours, its still in sleep mode. If you wait past a certain point the SP4 goes from sleep to hibernation and that's why if you have a long time since you used it last, you get this issue. Testing that theory today.

A possible fix may be to have it always go direct to hibernate when you close the cover or hit the power button. This is a bit of a crappy workaround but at least it may start up faster that way. Again testing that theory today.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
First off do not use hibernate (its garbage and stupid)... use sleep or off. I had to change the time to allow login without a password from 15 minutes to zero...so now when I close the type cover it looks for me every time auto magically upon wake. Another setting to kill is the lock screen so it all just Hello based. if you set it up this way you should rarely need the power button ever.

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not have this problem on the SP4, but I used to have it on a Dell tablet. It is related to sleep mode, and it is not normal. I would do a full reset and let it reinstall Windows 10, and see if that fixes the issue. If not, replace the SP4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss