Partitioning SSD - SP4

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone partitioned the SSD on their SP4?

How did you go about partitioning your SSD? Did you just load it up and Shrink/Extend volume in "Disk Management" ?

Or

Did you reinstall Windows 10 with a clean install (from usb) and created the partition during the set up process?

Which would be the better option?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No need to partition . its pre- installed with Windows 10 Pro. Just go buy a micro SD if you want another drive (up to 128GB)

I know it's pre installed. But I'm getting a 512 sp4.

Throughout my life my hard drives have been partitioned. I like to keep my information separate and I also like to be able to reinstall windows when needed without worrying about backing up.

However, having never owned a laptop with an ssd, I'm just wondering it it's the same process.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No its not... think about it a partition is basically worthless as its the same drive..what you want to do is create a recovery drive(usb). you should consider microSD expand-ability before shelling out so much on 512 GB + you always have cloud storage..change your thinking I did and am fine with 128GB with another down the road 12* sd expansion. They rake your over the coals to get to 512GB

On a desktop with multiple drives what you say makes sense on a Hybrid not so much learn to use the cloud.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I do use the cloud...

But nothing is wrong if I want to have my Data Seperated: OS/Work/Media/Software.

My current laptop has a 750gb hdd and it is partitioned that way....

Micro SD read/write speeds are not close to SSD....

I just want to accomplish the same on my SP4...

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't bother just setup folders. If you partition drive you will increase the wear on the drive itself. SSD's have a finite life and if you force certain areas to write on a quicker cycle rather than letting the drive manage itself your drive will fail earlier and become smaller. I haven't bothered partitioning same drives in years except for hidden recovery partitions. Use cloud and SD card for back ups / seperation

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I used to do partitions back in the XP days, but not anymore. There is almost always something on the C drive that I need anyway (e.g., something in AppData\Roaming), and would get wiped out with an OS install. So partitioning doesn't completely help separate stuff that I want to keep, and for SDDs there is no performance gain. For my work laptop, I backup my computer on a nightly basis using Acronis. I've collected enough "junk" HDDs over the years and they make great backup devices.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind I'm not doing it for any "performance" increase...

Maybe I should just buy a 500gb ssd external and backup to that.... Or.. if it's just for backup purposes, I guess I can just get a 1TB hdd.

I don't have any "junk hdds" around the place.

Now i'm stuck with a 512ssd sp4. hahaha

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Keep in mind I'm not doing it for any "performance" increase...

Maybe I should just buy a 500gb ssd external and backup to that.... Or.. if it's just for backup purposes, I guess I can just get a 1TB hdd.

I don't have any "junk hdds" around the place.

Now i'm stuck with a 512ssd sp4. hahaha

I don't know the particulars of your setup, but... wouldn't it be better to backup to a network location? You don't typically want to backup to the same drive your OS is on... kind of defeats the purpose of a backup.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know the particulars of your setup, but... wouldn't it be better to backup to a network location? You don't typically want to backup to the same drive your OS is on... kind of defeats the purpose of a backup.

Don't have anywhere to back up to, network wise. ... And I won't back up on the same drive.

Like I mentioned above, will probably just get a 1tb hdd for like 50$ and use that...

HumbleGeek

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
i had problems with this issue initially, but I was able to resolve the problem easily. First of all backup your Surface Pro 4 with a FREE disk imaging software like MacriumReflect FREE Edition. Then download a FREE partition resizing tool from www.PartitionWizard.com called MiniTool Partition Wizard FREE 10 by MiniTool Solutions Ltd. Using this tool split the C: drive partition into two partitions. Then you can have your operating system and installed software on one partition and your Data and backup etc on the other partition. Although BACKUP should always be kept on a separate external drive in case the hard drive itself fails, or gets corrupted. Before you play around with the partition, backup your whole hard drive and verify your backup. Good Luck, hope this information is of help to you.
Thanks. HumbleGeek.

quadxeon

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have three partitions on my SP4 (512). No problems. Shrinked C to my needs (also with partition wizard) and created the other two partitions.
I'm also old school, keeping things more organized. C is windows, D programs and E for documents. Wear should be the same as with one partition, managed by the SSD.
My backup gets stored on different USB3 hard drives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos