Rapid Battery Drain and Heat in Sleep? It's Windows Hello

MartyB

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been having a problem that others have also described: machine gets very warm while sleeping, and battery drains ridiculously fast while sleeping. I did a reset, tried installing nothing but updates, a range of things. Finally thought, maybe it's Hello. Tried it out. Windows Hello off: 87 hours of sleep, no heat buildup; Hello on: 5 hrs of sleep, heat buildup.

Even without it, I think the battery life is pretty awful, but for now I'll skip on the Hello.

Update: disabling Windows Hello works! You need to disable it using the 'remove' option and restart your machine. Presto: battery drain and heat problem solved.

Hello.jpg

Last edited:

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Windows Hello and have not had the battery drain and heat problem you are having. I did have the problems and I stopped using Edge and switched back to IE and the problems went away. On moderate use I got 7.5 hours of battery use on moderate to heavy use and today about the same so far. My fan has not been on since I stopped using Edge.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I can verify part of this. On standby I was losing about 4% of battery per hour, and after disabling Hello this reduced to 2.5% per hour. So it's an improvement but still too much. I like Hello so I put it back on. I'm trying it with hibernation now.

MartyB

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The problem some of us are having is not when the machine is in use: my fan never comes on when I'm using it. Our problem has been battery drain during sleep.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
As expected, the battery drain went away completely in hibernation. It took about 12 seconds for it to wake up to a functional desktop, including going through Windows Hello. So that's a downside of using hibernation rather than sleep, but I can live with it for now. Of course we are all hoping Microsoft will fix this.

Hoang ITK

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
:unhappysweat: My new SF4 is same problem. After disable WHello, battery life comes back to 7h. If using WHello, it is just 3-4h.
Thanks for your post!

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Have you installed the 11/2 system update? It has significantly reduced the battery drain for me in Connected Standby.

Last edited:

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
With Hello turned off, I get numbers similar to Marty's graph. Around 700mW per hour drain, over an 8 hour period. I would like to see it lower than that.

BCL_WA

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I just did a connected standby test last night with hibernation off, Hello enabled and chrome open to cnn. In 8 hours I had 17% drain or 2.12 per hour. I'm going to post a follow up to this once I get through some forum posting issues.

don burroughs

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I have an aditional problem, on the All settings, Accounts, Sign-in Options screen Under Windows Hello my screen says Windows Hello isn't available on this device and I believe this is because my camera IS NOT capable BUT the point being because it isn't available it DOSEN'T OFFER REMOVE and I NEED to REMOVE it because it is throwing an error on the EVENT VIEWER "Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched. Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested
User has logged on with AAD credentials: No
Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested
Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested
User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes
User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested
Machine is governed by no policy. " So how do I REMOVE it?

don burroughs

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I have an aditional problem, on the All settings, Accounts, Sign-in Options screen Under Windows Hello my screen says "Windows Hello isn't available on this device" and I believe this is because my camera IS NOT capable BUT the point being because it isn't available it DOSEN'T OFFER REMOVE and I NEED to REMOVE it because it is throwing an error on the EVENT VIEWER
"Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched. Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested
User has logged on with AAD credentials: No
Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested
Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested
User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes
User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested
Machine is governed by no policy. "
So how do I REMOVE it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos