Great news! Microsoft stores are now doing trade in old surfaces for up to $700

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my i5 128GB SP3 on ebay for $710. Ebay Paypal took about $70 total, and it cost me $25 to ship it. In the end I made $615. I dont know what MS would give me, but probbably less. That went towards my $1430 SP4 haha.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Can anybody clarify, the value of an RT is listed at $150 for trade in on their trade in site.

The text says an additioanl $100 if you purchase an sp4, so does the $150 alread include the $100 or would that $250 towards and SP4?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I've had my S3 for about 6 months and looked at the trade in and was only offered $250. A little more and I'd pull the trigger. (although my wife would kill me).

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The MS Store didn't mention it either. But since my value was already listed at $225 the minimum value was kind of moot anyway.

Dont htink it is an issue with minimum value, the issue is the difference between getting the $225 credit which you did and getting a $325, the extra $100 for purchasing specifically an sp4. That is the question being asked now.

Is the $100 extra being stacked on top of the value listed on the site? In your case, they didnt, but the advertisement from MS says it probably should.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Craigslist does...

if you think you can get $150 for an RT on clist or ebay, you are insane. For pro models, it is probably better to gon ebay or craigslist, maybe not the sp1. For surface RT and maybe Surface 2, the trade in value is better on this site. RT is dead, who would buy that for $150?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
if you think you can get $150 for an RT on clist or ebay, you are insane. For pro models, it is probably better to gon ebay or craigslist, maybe not the sp1. For surface RT and maybe Surface 2, the trade in value is better on this site. RT is dead, who would buy that for $150?

Yeah, i was happy to get $200 for my Surface at Best Buy a year and a half ago. $150 is a very generous offer.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
It's only a good deal if you value convenience above all else.

Trading in an SP3 with i7/8 GB/512GB nets you only $700??? Do people forget how expensive this SP3 configuration was??? This is an incredible machine for $700. There's no other $700 machine out there I would take over the SP3 with i7/8 GB/512GB.

Heck, my SP2 with i5/8 GB/512GB will only net $300!!! There is no $300 PC in the world that can match my SP2. Luckily, I didn't buy it at the original retail (got the machine for $800 brand new from Newegg with a Type Cover 2 included) but if I did pay the original $1500+129, there's no way I would get rid of it for only $300.

It's a good deal for Microsoft Stores because they can replenish their refurbished inventory in case people need replacements for broken machines. It's hard because Surface machines can't really be fixed. They must be replaced.

But if you must get rid of your old Surface machine, do it through Craigslist or Ebay. But why not have a second machine? You can use it as a backup or give it away as a gift to your kid or wife or whoever.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It's only a good deal if you value convenience above all else.

Trading in an SP3 with i7/8 GB/512GB nets you only $700??? Do people forget how expensive this SP3 configuration was??? This is an incredible machine for $700. There's no other $700 machine out there I would take over the SP3 with i7/8 GB/512GB.

Heck, my SP2 with i5/8 GB/512GB will only net $300!!! There is no $300 PC in the world that can match my SP2. Luckily, I didn't buy it at the original retail (got the machine for $800 brand new from Newegg with a Type Cover 2 included) but if I did pay the original $1500+129, there's no way I would get rid of it for only $300.

It's a good deal for Microsoft Stores because they can replenish their refurbished inventory in case people need replacements for broken machines. It's hard because Surface machines can't really be fixed. They must be replaced.

But if you must get rid of your old Surface machine, do it through Craigslist or Ebay. But why not have a second machine? You can use it as a backup or give it away as a gift to your kid or wife or whoever.
Generally speaking, good advice.

But it also highly depends upon what one owns and what they paid for it. Microsoft is offering me $175 for my 32GB Surface 2 + TypeCover. I paid $117 a few months ago for it (plus 32GB microSD card, and Incipio case). If I could put that towards a Surface 3, I would've seriously considered it.

eBay these days heavily favors buyers... so be careful. There are plenty of scammers out there who are experts at fleecing sellers. Craigslist also has its share of issues as well. In both cases, many have had no problems, but just be aware that problems do exist.

Fritz Anker

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Dont htink it is an issue with minimum value, the issue is the difference between getting the $225 credit which you did and getting a $325, the extra $100 for purchasing specifically an sp4. That is the question being asked now.

Is the $100 extra being stacked on top of the value listed on the site? In your case, they didnt, but the advertisement from MS says it probably should.

I'm guessing it's included. Looks like it's been taken down from the MS online store - but when it was there it listed the $100 as the *minimum* value you would get. So maybe I would have only received a $125 value had I wanted to use it toward something else. It's odd they even mentioned the minimum value at all - as the offer when introduced was only for buying an SP4. In anycase, the store had a much better offer. Matched the value, and bundled office, complete, a sleeve, 12 mos xbox live, Skype package, and a $60 MS card for $240 and they gave me $30 off the type cover. I'd say win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss