I just bought a Surface Pro 4 ... HELP!

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, as this thread’s title suggests, I just picked up a Surface Pro 4. It’s a core i5 model with 8 Gbs of ram and 256 storage. At this point I’ve had the device for less than a week.

I love, Love LOVE the form factor, which for me is ideal. The device’s design is sublime, performance stunning and build quality so close to perfect it hurts. The only issue is the damn thing doesn’t work and I’m hoping some of you Microsoft/Windows experts can help.

For the last five days I think I’ve been dealing with every single issue possible. Some troubles are:

* Three, yes THREE BSODs yesterday, all with the error code “video_scheduler_internal_error,” whatever that is
* Regular display driver crashes that make the touchscreen not function (it’s crashed at least six times in as many hours today)
* Waking the device from sleep only works properly about 50 percent of the time
* Horrendous battery drain with Edge and Windows Hello
* Modern apps often appear as empty white windows upon waking from sleep (provided it works)
* The mouse cursor will sometimes not show up when reattaching the keyboard
* Screen flicker with automatic brightness adjustment turned on
* Wonky Edge browser color flicker​

I think the BSODs were caused by Edge, along with the battery drain and many of the display driver crashes, though the driver still crashes even when not running Edge, which I’ve stopped using.

My questions for you guys is, are you suffering with all of these issues? How can this device be SO INCREDIBLY UNRELIABLE? How could Microsoft release something this bad? How can I fix it? Should I just return it for a replacement or a full refund? Do you think the November update will correct any of these issues?

I'm so disheartened right now and incredibly disappointed :unhappy:. A brand-new computer -- and a PREMIUM one at that -- should be perfect out of the box. I really don't know what to do and I’m sooo close to returning this device and just getting a Mac. They can’t possibly have this many problems. Somebody talk me off the ledge ...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide.:wink:

- Craig

Wajeeh Maaz

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I'd say return it asking for a working model, and ask them to TEST it to see if it's working. The Surface is an amazing device,better than any Mac in it's awesome form factor. Once you get the working one, You'll love it :D

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have a bad one. I've found on the SP3 that it can help to disable Flash in Edge - gives a bit more battery life if you don't need Flash, which may or may not be for you.

Also if it's brand new you might try restoring from core image, i.e. a complete wipe. It's possible from what I've been reading that the machine may not have had that core image properly applied and if you've got nothing else started on the machine it couldn't hurt to just make you are at a good base starting location. It will also eliminate one of the things support might ask you to do before returning it.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
With the latest round of updates last week, much of my issues were resolved.

Though, today while typing up my sermon my surface completely froze on my - TWICE! Bah... so frustrating.

The only times I can remember my Surface freezing is while I'm using Word 2016... Could this be an issue at all? So frustrating...

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Craig:

I've seen most of the same issues.
Some of the issues you mentioned (like flickering, changing background color in Microsoft Edge, battery drain in Connected Standby) have been already fixed in November 2 system update. Make sure to run Windows Update and install the latest patch.

Majority of remaining issues seem to be related to Intel drivers and hopefully will be fixed soon.
Replacing the system is not going to help: these are widespread issues with this new Intel chip-set, not limited to Surface Pro 4.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I think what I'm going to do is take it back to the Microsoft store so one of their experts can look at it. Something HAS to be wrong, I mean, how can such a premium device have soooooo many issues right out of the box? I've never owned any electronic device that's been THIS bad.

The system's reliability history is hovering just above one (I'd share a couple screen grabs but I don't have the required 10 posts to include links). During my workday 41 critical events happened and are displayed in the reliability history. WTF?

- Craig

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I think what I'm going to do is take it back to the Microsoft store so one of their experts can look at it. Something HAS to be wrong, I mean, how can such a premium device have soooooo many issues right out of the box? I've never owned any electronic device that's been THIS bad.

The system's reliability history is hovering just above one (I'd share a couple screen grabs but I don't have the required 10 posts to include links). During my workday 41 critical events happened and are displayed in the reliability history. WTF?

- Craig

It's drivers issues.

Microsoft/Intel will surely fix it soon.

i'd say hard reset it and don't update it. When I got mine I never updated it and it have never crashed once or experienced problems you mentioned above.

I also *just* (like 5 minutes ago) disable connected standby....
I did have the battery drain while sleeping :(

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
It's drivers issues.

Microsoft/Intel will surely fix it soon.

i'd say hard reset it and don't update it. When I got mine I never updated it and it have never crashed once or experienced problems you mentioned above.

I also *just* (like 5 minutes ago) disable connected standby....
I did have the battery drain while sleeping :(

Doesn't disabling connected stand by remove the sleep option?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't disabling connected stand by remove the sleep option?

It removes the "fast resume/Instant go" feature which. I do not need.

My last laptop was a 3rd gen processor and when i put the laptop to sleep, it would wake up as it did. This is what I am accustom to and I have no need for, neither do I see the benefit of "Connected Standby"

With connected standby off, if i put my laptop to sleep with 80% and 2 days later I wake it up.. Bet your bottom dollar i will still have 80% battery life.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
It removes the "fast resume/Instant go" feature which. I do not need.

My last laptop was a 3rd gen processor and when i put the laptop to sleep, it would wake up as it did. This is what I am accustom to and I have no need for, neither do I see the benefit of "Connected Standby"

With connected standby off, if i put my laptop to sleep with 80% and 2 days later I wake it up.. Bet your bottom dollar i will still have 80% battery life.

So you mean hibernate then? If your are disabling connected standby in the registry, it will remove the option that says "sleep"

For those that are interested, change the following registry key from 1 to 0
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I changed my 'closing my keyboard' to hibernate instead of sleep. It's better for your PC anyway. But yeah, this is an issue that you're going through with a lot of surface users. Returning it would mean nothing. You will still get the same issues. It's all over Reddit and other Surface forums. We're all waiting for Microsoft to release another update. The last update 11/2 fixed my screen flickering and yellow tint.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So you mean hibernate then? If your are disabling connected standby in the registry, it will remove the option that says "sleep"

For those that are interested, change the following registry key from 1 to 0
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

If that is what yo u want to call. All I in know is when my computer is asleep and I press the power button, it wakes up in a couple seconds and that works For me

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From my experience the most likely cause for issues that appear for some and not for others can be traced to software (including drivers) and the order in which apps are installed and updated.

The best method I know for bringing it back into alignment with the Microsoft Universe is to go back and re-birth the OS, then let all the new and improved updates flow on to fresh and pure Windows 10. Test and see if issues have already shown up. (9 out of 10 times they are gone.)
The reason this often solves issues is because updates are being applied in an expected order.

Now you start the process: Load essential software, then test again. Designate milestones for making a new full backup that becomes your working baseline.

If finding the cause (in addition to fixing the problem) is important, then this would be my course of action:rder.

1. This will be a destructive process, so start by doing a full backup of the SP4.
  2. Do a second backup of your data (documents, pictures, media), or sync them to OneDrive.
  3. Wipe the SP4 clean and reinstall windows from scratch. (Use the option to load updates when prompted).
  4. Complete the process by logging in to your Microsoft account and let it restore your settings.
  5. Go to settings and check for more updates.
  6. Reboot the computer after all updates have been added.
  7. Try browsing with Edge, or doing other things that were giving you problems. If they are still there, make a note and take the computer into Microsoft as you planned. It will be easier for them to troubleshoot, since it is a fresh install without any non-Windows software.
  8. If after testing the problems appear to be gone (for now), then make a full backup of the SP4 in this state. This becomes your working baseline. You can now go on to add only your most essential applications. After each installation, run your standard tests trying to get those stubborn issues to show themselves. If all goes well, then make another full backup - this is your second baseline. If anyhing goes wrong after this point, you can always,come back to here and you will have a clean OS and set of basic apps.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Based on everything I've read and experienced personally, it's just buggy drivers. Reinstalling them or replacing the unit is not going to help. The problems are universal, not even limited to Surface. The latest Dells with the same Intel chip-sets are exhibiting the same issues. Some are experiencing problems more often than others just because of the use patterns. For those who claim to be trouble-free: check your Windows System event logs!

Give Intel and Microsoft a couple of weeks to fix everything. I am sure this is their top priority right now (too much bad publicity), so it shouldn't take them too long. The first update was released within one week (and it has already fixed half of the issues reported by the OP). If you can't wait: return your SP4 and move on.

Last edited:

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Based on everything I've read and experienced personally, it's just buggy drivers. Reinstalling them or replacing the unit is not going to help. The problems are universal, not even limited to Surface. The latest Dells with the same Intel chip-sets are exhibiting the same issues. Some are experiencing problems more often than others just because of the use patterns. For those who claim to be trouble-free: check your Windows System event logs!

Give Intel and Microsoft a couple of weeks to fix everything. I am sure this is their top priority right now (too much bad publicity), so it shouldn't take them too long. The first update was released within one week (and it has already fixed half of the issues reported by the OP). If you can't wait: return your SP4 and move on.

I hope you're right because I don't want to reinstall everything if I exchange my current SP4 for a new one. Not that I've got all that much installed on it, but it's still a pain.

cristobel

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
After months of convincing my bf to get a Surface Pro over a macbook, he bit the bullet on Wednesday night and picked up a SP4. He loves it, but today, one of the display drivers crashed and "recovered". Later, he noticed that random letters would be missing in Edge browser tabs. He checked for updates and lo and behold there was an update available. Updated. Now the screen flickers uncontrollably and is tinted red. It gets worse every time he restarts.

He's returning it tonight. All that hard work to get him to go for the Surface is down the drain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa