Surface Pro 4 i5 or i7 with JAWs and microsoft word

pectin232

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Using either Surface 4 pro i5 or i7 with 8gb or memory or 16gb memory is sufficient for Jaws, Word and others? Thinking long terms for blind child in HS now to college one day? Or stay with the i5 16gb and 256gb SSD? Advise? price difference can range from $300-$700 after you include taxes, extra warranty from SquareTrade, case, protective cover, etc.. Not sure if anyone here has someone that is visually impaired or at least low vision. Teenager might be using that with other apps in the future... I hate to keep changing devices if the person is 'used' to it especially if they cannot see or see well. It is not as easy to keep changing devices in the blind world.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The 4GB M3 would work at $899-10% edu = $809

i5 and i7 are overkill for JAWS + Word

JAWS Home Use Edition and JAWS Professional Windows? 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server? 2012, and Windows Server 2008
Processor speed Minimum 1.5 GHz processor
Memory (RAM) 4 GB recommended (64-bit)
2 GB recommended (32-bit)

pectin232

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure the M3 is enough for powering JAWs and like maybe 3-4 apps opening? How can I get my child to use the Windows tablet more. They are using all iPad in school. I like that but the real work environment has all windows 7-8 at least and knowing different devices I think should help her in college.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure the M3 is enough for powering JAWs and like maybe 3-4 apps opening? How can I get my child to use the Windows tablet more. They are using all iPad in school. I like that but the real work environment has all windows 7-8 at least and knowing different devices I think should help her in college.

Yes I am sure. Or else I would not have suggested it.

As long as she is not running more than two VMs or heavily encoding Video the M3 will be perfectly fine and in fact better as it is silent.

The M3 can support up to Two 4K streams with the dock

I was bitlocking a 1 TB drive, streaming a movie, surfing the web and doing a virus scan and using Office without any hiccups

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If you plan on using this machine long term, I would suggest the i5 with 8GB/256GB. I completely agree with Leo Laporte's analogy of 1 human year = 15 computer years. A 4-year old computer is 90 years and should be entering its twilight years.

4GB is fine for now. But it's very limiting and you can't grow with it. Typical usage runs between 4-6GB. That's a few browser tabs and some software like Adobe.

The only people I recommend the Core M processor to are the people that wish the Atom processors were just a wee bit faster or wish the Surface 3 had a bigger screen. These people don't need fast machines. If budget is a strong concern, then the Core M is viable. And the difference between 4GB and 8 GB is huge. If you can spare some more money, you'll have a machine that will last far longer.

pectin232

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys for helping me out. I appreciate it. I think the i5, 8gb and 256 is maybe the way to go... now is wait now or for Black Friday.. which might have just the SP3 for sale and not the 4...

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
If you plan on using this machine long term, I would suggest the i5 with 8GB/256GB. I completely agree with Leo Laporte's analogy of 1 human year = 15 computer years. A 4-year old computer is 90 years and should be entering its twilight years.

4GB is fine for now. But it's very limiting and you can't grow with it. Typical usage runs between 4-6GB. That's a few browser tabs and some software like Adobe.

The only people I recommend the Core M processor to are the people that wish the Atom processors were just a wee bit faster or wish the Surface 3 had a bigger screen. These people don't need fast machines. If budget is a strong concern, then the Core M is viable. And the difference between 4GB and 8 GB is huge. If you can spare some more money, you'll have a machine that will last far longer.

Core M3 is 3 times faster than Core M its a night and day difference from the Surface 3 or Atom in fact the M3 falls above the i3 Sp3 and 15% below the i5 sp4 so for most that 15% is not noticeable at all. Compared to my sons i5 SP3 they are identical in speed

Again I recommend not overspending on this form factor its foolish in way, save the $$$ and then have several hundred to upgrade to the SP5 when it arrives rather than wasting the several hundred in money now for little gain to gain instead fan noise.

If you absolutely need 8GB of ram..get an ultrabook or surfacebook because you are in that pricing stratosphere anyhow.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You don't even understand what Core M is. Core M is a family of processors consisting of Core M3, Core M5, and Core M7.

I understand that Core M3 this year is 3x faster than those of yesteryear. You seem to be discounting the fact that the M3 this year is only 15% off the performance of the i5 and the latter adds a fan, noise and weight plus weaker 3D performance.

You say don't get the i3,,,there is no i3.

M3 saves you $100 ... it fanless, better graphics , lighter and conserves energy. Plus a smaller charger to better fit in a small carrying case.

Its the no brainer pick for fanless design alone (no moving parts ever)

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Core M3 is not "3x faster than those of yesteryear". do you mean yore? do you mean from another era? from another time? stop making stuff up.

Intel would trumpet to the highest order if Core M3 was 200% faster. There are 3 distinct product lines, meant to separate by price and performance. The lowest line is the Atom series. The next higher line is the Core M. The next above that is the Core series.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Core M3 is not "3x faster than those of yesteryear". do you mean yore? do you mean from another era? from another time? stop making stuff up.

Intel would trumpet to the highest order if Core M3 was 200% faster. There are 3 distinct product lines, meant to separate by price and performance. The lowest line is the Atom series. The next higher line is the Core M. The next above that is the Core series.

"Skylake mobile chips can deliver up to 2.5 times faster processing performance, 30 times better graphics performance, and three times the battery life of earlier generations of chips."

Rounded up, I'll not embellish the 30x better 3D graphical on which my M3 pegs out at 9.9 on WEI nor two or three 4K monitors at once, even with demanding tasks,

Basically the M3 is equivalent to an i5 mobile from last year (SP3-i5) and FANLESS plus energy saving with better graphics.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
"Skylake mobile chips can deliver up to 2.5 times faster processing performance, 30 times better graphics performance, and three times the battery life of earlier generations of chips."

Rounded up, I'll not embellish the 30x better 3D graphical on which my M3 pegs out at 9.9 on WEI nor two or three 4K monitors at once, even with demanding tasks,

Basically the M3 is equivalent to an i5 mobile from last year (SP3-i5) and FANLESS plus energy saving with better graphics.

The keyword is UP TO This says Skylake processors in general and not specifically the M3. I think your idea of it being faster is true, but not to the degree you're making it out to be.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Bolt, you're just ridiculous.

Bolt is hooked on the Core m3 Surface Book and has been making up facts to make it look better than it is in any thread mentioning it.

Lack of a cooling fan and being the cheapest option is about the only way to justify it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Bolt is hooked on the Core m3 Surface Book and has been making up facts to make it look better than it is in any thread mentioning it.

Lack of a cooling fan and being the cheapest option is about the only way to justify it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

And save 50% over then next logical option (8GBi5) to get 85+% the performance that 99% would not ever notice and its dead silent...its the smart pick on this form factor whether you want to believe it or not. The M series is the correct processor for a tablet which the surface pro is. Then with the saving there is your money for a Lumia 950 or down payment on the next Surface Pro... don't chase tech stats..think. Do not waste money on a 12.3" screen just get what you need and if you are that 99% then get the M3 and be happy.

I know those that spent $1300-$2600 don't want to hear the M3 kicks butt..it does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster