How is your typing experience when using the SP4 as a laptop on public transportations?

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
no,not at all. I take the train to work every day. it only is usable if I can sit at a table, or maaaybe if there is a seat in front of mine to prop up the back against.

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
If the device is on a hard surface, is the keyboard stable? If I use the SP4 on the train, I should use it as a tablet mode. Am I right?

How good it is to type on the virtual keyboard while placing the SP4 in tablet mode? Are the keys and spacings among the keys large enough?

bitcrazed

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If the device is on a hard surface, is the keyboard stable??
Yep - very stable - more, even, than the SP3 thanks to the stiffer keyboard backplate construction.

If I use the SP4 on the train, I should use it as a tablet mode. Am I right?

Why should you "have to" use it in tablet mode? Use it in the mode that's most comfortable and productive for YOU!

While some will bemoan the Surface Pro's 'lappability', many, myself included are quite happy typing on the physical keyboard with my Surface stood-up on my lap - even for several hours at a time.

Others, however, have shorter legs, some have larger or smaller thighs, some are very specific and very inflexible about how they adapt to change. You'll have to figure out what works for you - if you're happy typing on your lap, great. If you're just reading articles, etc., and are happy to occasionally use the on-screen keyboard, then that's great too. With the Surface Pro, you have both options :)

How good it is to type on the virtual keyboard while placing the SP4 in tablet mode? Are the keys and spacings among the keys large enough?
One can type reasonably effectively on the on-screen keyboard and it's often adequate for short responses, comments, login credentials, etc. However, most people don't type large amounts of text using the on-screen keyboard: The lack of physical keys and tactile feedback often results in poor typing accuracy. However, I know a guy who types like a demon on his on-screen keyboard, but in my experience he's a rarity.

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If I can get a seat on the DC metro, I can whip out my Surface and it types quite well. It's more steady than I anticipated and I have no issues typing on the train.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The only situation where typing on the lap is hard with the Surface machines is when your legs are sloping downward like sitting on a bar stool.

But I've never had problems using any Surface machine on my lap including the Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro 2, and Surface 3.

67207d1400745568t-50qi38.jpg

67208d1400745603t-xe0pro.jpg

67210d1400745696t-33lh2rm.jpg

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the nice photos. I don't do that. Sometimes I commute on the trains for 2 hours/day. Given that there is no LTE, I probably do some Words stuff rather than surfing the net.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I can't imagine bringing my Surface to use on public transit. I'm sure someone would try to steal it as quick as they could.

(Then again, I tend not to trust people in public, but that's me)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro