11-03-2019 07:03 PM
203 1234 ...
tools
    Smells like a class action lawsuit to me.
    11-11-2015 09:44 PM
    Microsoft states, "Up to 9 hours of video playback. Testing conducted by Microsoft in September 2015 using preproduction Intel Core™ i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM device. Testing consisted of full battery discharge during video playback. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, and other factors."

Of video playback, and doing nothing else? We probably draw more power using our device in a normal everyday fashion. I'm not going to watch 9 hours of video on it :)
    11-11-2015 09:57 PM
    I get 4 hours roughly. At 12% as I type and it's a frustrating experience because I'm temporary lodging so I have no desk and there is not a single plug near me where I end up doing most work. I solved this by getting a $5 external battery on a slickdeal for my iPhone/iPad but don't really want to spend the money on a quality external battery pack that would let me charge my SP4 because I'd still need to drop extra money on a second charging adapter since I prefer to leave the power cord plugged in next to my bed where I charge all of my devices nightly.

Considering this is how long it lasts now I can't imagine it lasting more than 30 minutes in 2 years which would be painful for such a portable device.
    11-12-2015 12:25 AM
    I don't understand your response. One buys a product considering the value and offering claimed by the seller. It is not about how much I should expect but more about delivering the claim. If Microsoft would have been honest about battery life, I have no issues. But selling the product for 9 hours and then getting half of it has nothing to do with satisfaction. I don't want to even start the conversation on what other tablets are offering and how they are able to give 8 plus hours of battery life.
    so you're saying if Microsoft announced 4-5 hours, you would have been fine?

Please, tell me about these other tablets that are offering 8hours battery life....
    StevoPhilo likes this.
    11-12-2015 12:30 AM
    Microsoft states, "Up to 9 hours of video playback. Testing conducted by Microsoft in September 2015 using preproduction Intel Core™ i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM device. Testing consisted of full battery discharge during video playback. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, and other factors."

Of video playback, and doing nothing else? We probably draw more power using our device in a normal everyday fashion. I'm not going to watch 9 hours of video on it :)
    The newer processors are optimized for stuff Intel thinks people need/want/use, in this case video playback. So while you might get 9h of video playback you will not get the same battery life when using the same settings and just write in word or onenote even if that should, in theory, consume less battery. This is why most reviews get decent battery life on the loop video test (some even close to the 9 hours mark). For a device marketed for productivity Microsoft should have however advertised the battery life in a different scenario (not pure entertainment).
    11-12-2015 02:15 AM
    Do you believe gas mileage claims too people? Or wifi speeds?

This is such a non-issue

Wake up to the world and product claims
    11-12-2015 08:20 AM
    I sat and did some heavy web surfing and youtube watching while video skyping. and got about 6 hours last night, but i had the brightness at 10%. i've honestly never had my brightness over %50... While i would love to have better battery life, i'm defiantly not outraged..
    11-12-2015 08:45 AM
    The battery life should be revisited after today's "Threshold" update. I wish MS had not chosen to put a smaller battery in the SP4 vs the SP3
    11-12-2015 09:03 AM
    Chrome can actually kill battery especially with hardware acceleration enabled which is the default.
    PrplHaz4 likes this.
    11-12-2015 09:36 AM
    Do you believe gas mileage claims too people? Or wifi speeds?

This is such a non-issue

Wake up to the world and product claims
    This has gotten much better over the past few years. My car gets nicely over it's estimated MPG.
    Also this is an issue claiming 9 hours (All day use) is complete and utter BS in most normal use cases it's not 1/2 of that.
    11-12-2015 10:31 AM
    My battery life sucks big time. Also, the damn display driver keeps crashing. I don't understand why the hell there are so many issues with this if it is so similar to my SP3 that I gave to my wife. I am ready to return this pos.
    11-12-2015 11:45 AM
    My battery life sucks big time. Also, the damn display driver keeps crashing. I don't understand why the hell there are so many issues with this if it is so similar to my SP3 that I gave to my wife. I am ready to return this pos.
    Its 4000 new parts out of 20000 or 20% different...I have not heard ff any M3's having issues only i5's..which is back to my premise i5 is not a good choice for this SP4
    11-12-2015 12:01 PM
    Intel drivers! Still why did Microsoft allow them to be rushed out before they were ready...maybe to beat the Ipad Pro?
    Which is beyond me seeing at that thing is...well just huge for the sake of being huge.
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    11-12-2015 01:15 PM
    Its 4000 new parts out of 20000 or 20% different...I have not heard ff any M3's having issues only i5's..which is back to my premise i5 is not a good choice for this SP4
    Does this mean that they will eventually fix all the bs through firmware updates? I don't want an m3, I'd get an surface 3 (non-pro) if I was going to go with a low powered machine, or stick with the air 2
    11-12-2015 02:41 PM
    Just loaded 10586 on the SP4. Here's hoping that this amazing machine is even more amazing.
    11-12-2015 02:47 PM
    I have the M3 Surface Pro and absolutely love it. But there are some quirky battery life issues. MS Edge and Chrome will decimate the battery. Not sure if this new Threshold update will do anything to alleviate, (I haven't received it yet), but MS Edge and Chrome are not friendly to Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 4.

I charge my device overnight to 100%. When I disconnect power in the morning, the device wakes up. I make sure to put it back to sleep. When I bring it to work (40 minute commute), battery is still at 100%. Previously, when I just let the screen timeout after it awakens, I lost battery life in my bag during the commute. My guess is it never goes properly back to sleep.

At work I connect it to an external display and disable the Surface display. I basically use it for browsing 10 - 15 tabs, 2 -3 separate windows, using IE. With this set up, and fairly constant use, starting from 9:30am to 6:00pm, battery will deplete to 40% - 50%. Not bad (obviously not running the Surface display itself helps). I don't bring the charger to work. Then at home I can use it until I go to bed. Lots of sketching with Autodesk and a couple hours of Netflix before I get the battery warning.

Sorry long winded post, but basically, say no to Edge and Chrome for now, until some kind of software fix is provided, and make sure the device goes to sleep before transporting it around.

Other than that, and the occasional damned video driver crash (for me about once or twice a day, depending on the website) I am completely in love with this device.

The M3 is the little processor that can. Photoshop and even 720p video work with Sony Vegas 13 is no issue. Rendering times are a bit long, but hey, it's a fanless little beastie.
    11-13-2015 03:56 PM
    I have the M3 Surface Pro and absolutely love it. But there are some quirky battery life issues. MS Edge and Chrome will decimate the battery. Not sure if this new Threshold update will do anything to alleviate, (I haven't received it yet), but MS Edge and Chrome are not friendly to Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 4.

I charge my device overnight to 100%. When I disconnect power in the morning, the device wakes up. I make sure to put it back to sleep. When I bring it to work (40 minute commute), battery is still at 100%. Previously, when I just let the screen timeout after it awakens, I lost battery life in my bag during the commute. My guess is it never goes properly back to sleep.

At work I connect it to an external display and disable the Surface display. I basically use it for browsing 10 - 15 tabs, 2 -3 separate windows, using IE. With this set up, and fairly constant use, starting from 9:30am to 6:00pm, battery will deplete to 40% - 50%. Not bad (obviously not running the Surface display itself helps). I don't bring the charger to work. Then at home I can use it until I go to bed. Lots of sketching with Autodesk and a couple hours of Netflix before I get the battery warning.

Sorry long winded post, but basically, say no to Edge and Chrome for now, until some kind of software fix is provided, and make sure the device goes to sleep before transporting it around.

Other than that, and the occasional damned video driver crash (for me about once or twice a day, depending on the website) I am completely in love with this device.

The M3 is the little processor that can. Photoshop and even 720p video work with Sony Vegas 13 is no issue. Rendering times are a bit long, but hey, it's a fanless little beastie.
    Love my M3 too the cpu has yet to let me down, and fan-less is divine
    11-14-2015 10:14 AM
    I have noticed that the battery life is nowhere near what was promised. But I also find the device so amazing that I don't care. I'm sure battery life will continue to improve with updates. As it is, I'm rarely more than 5 hours away from a power source anyway.
    11-14-2015 11:37 AM
    so set up my sp4 yesterday didint use that much so not sure how it is.

So I also did experience the battery drain while sleep mode. I left in sleep to try it out when i left the house this morning. I left the house probably around 1030 am and returned around 130pm, i left it in sleep mode turned it on and it dropped from 75% to 66%. I dont have windows hello on, i dont even hav ea camera for it so it isn't on my sp4 at this point.

Only thing i installed was chrome, that is it. Came home saw the drop, i thought maybe it was just me and my memory was off on the % when i left. So i put it in sleep again for about 30 minutes, turned it on, dropped from 66 to 63%.

Now i understand a drop if it sleep mode for the entire day or days, but not 30 minutes and not 1% for 10 minutes.

THat is inexcusable.
    11-14-2015 04:56 PM
    As great as sp4 is, if I have to charge after 4/5 hours having paid CANADIAN $1800 I rather now switch to MacBook Air that gives 12 hours of battery. For sure I will miss the pen and 2-1 form but if cannot trade off with poor battery life.
    11-14-2015 05:19 PM
    As great as sp4 is, if I have to charge after 4/5 hours having paid CANADIAN $1800 I rather now switch to MacBook Air that gives 12 hours of battery. For sure I will miss the pen and 2-1 form but if cannot trade off with poor battery life.
    Ok bye now.
    11-14-2015 05:38 PM
    Ok. You'll be paying almost the same for a slower laptop with a smaller 1440x900 16:10 display with no pen or touch input. If you install windows on it the battery life won't be that much better either, especially if you plan to do actual work on it.
    11-14-2015 05:41 PM
    Here's my battery life on the i7 SP3 since I bought it a year ago. I get 6 hours on average and this is primarily used for web browsing, web development work and note taking at meetings. I usually keep screen brightness at 25-50% for web browsing and 100% for taking notes. If you want an accurate picture of your battery life you can check this yourself by running powercfg /batteryreport from the command line. The SP4 has a slightly smaller battery, but this is offset by the heatplate reducing the power needed to cool the cpu. Plus you won't get throttling issues like the SP3 has.

sp3-battery-life.png
    Last edited by Michael Muscat; 11-14-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    FXi2 and GSOgymrat like this.
    11-14-2015 06:08 PM
    Left the house again. Put to sleep decreased from 62% to 53% in4 hours. Sad
    11-14-2015 09:37 PM

Try disabling hardware acceleration in any browser you use. Solved my display driver crashes
    11-14-2015 10:22 PM
203 1234 ...