New Microsoft Surface Dock (for SP3 and SP4) won't detect external display, what can I do?

freetail

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
New Microsoft Surface Dock (for SP3 and SP4) won't detect external display

I received my new Microsoft Dock today. Works a treat (sound, Ethernet and USB) but the miniDPs aren't firing up my external display (Philips Ultrawide 21:9).

The external monitor works fine when plugged directly into my SP3 (miniDP to HDMI) but when I plug the same cable into the new Dock, I get nothing. The monitor recognises that it's plugged into something, as it doesn't say not connected, but rather that there is no video feed, but there's no picture.

Have been onto Microsoft support who are trying to figure this one out. Have updated drivers, windows update, deleted monitor, firmware and graphics drivers, soft-reset, restarted, set external monitor as main display, changed resolution of external monitor, tried updating monitor driver from Philips, plugged/unplugged cable many times, tried both ports but so far... nothing's done the job.

Anyone else have an issue where the Dock won't display to an external monitor (at all, not just on waking up) and if so, what kind of monitor are you using? I'm wondering if it has to do with the 21:9 format (although as I say, I changed the resolution to 16:9 (1080p) and that didn't fix it so... maybe it's something else. Is it just an SP3 compatibility thing?

Welcome input form the wider world...

vailmc1

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: New Microsoft Surface Dock (for SP3 and SP4) won't detect external display

Same exact issue. Found out it was an incompatible cable. Replaced it, good to go!

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: New Microsoft Surface Dock (for SP3 and SP4) won't detect external display

I to had an issue with my cable. Was not working with the DVI output of the monitor used the VGA out and works like a charm. Would prefer DVI but working fine for my needs. For me was not a cable as I tried two. Could be the adaptor as need to change from DVI to either HDMI or VGA for a display port.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss