So much better with yesterday's update

ajaffarali

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Many of the issues I had with SP4 seem to be resolved with the Windows Nov update. The screen flickering is gone and so has the sound popping. Battery life is much much better and the fans don't continuously keep kicking in any longer because the unit is running much cooler. The only issue I have now is the display driver still keeps crashing and recovering.

I'm finally happy with my SP4!

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Still waiting for the November update on my SP4 ... I've been checking every 15 minutes and nothing. It's annoying that they're not giving it to me, LOL! Seriously, the update cannot come soon enough to fix all the issues with this device ...

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Sadly I'm not that tech savvy ... LOL!

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/15183-download-windows-10-iso-techbench.html

Get ISO here..https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Ftechbench&token=Qt1IXSVd

Select Edition..Windows 10..confirm
Select the product language ..Choose one....English..confirm

Download...wait until done
Click on ISO to mount (from where it downloaded to)
Click on setup
Wait...Start
Check updates
Enjoy
Now wait for Redstone..rinse repeat

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I tried the ISO and it installed to the C:\ drive instead of the thumb drive (no prompt to change). Then it complained i didn't have enough free space to download the update (which I didn't 32 GB drive, 9 GB free, hence the thumb drive). Is there something I'm missing?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
So, I tried the ISO and it installed to the C:\ drive instead of the thumb drive (no prompt to change). Then it complained i didn't have enough free space to download the update (which I didn't 32 GB drive, 9 GB free, hence the thumb drive). Is there something I'm missing?

Download ISO go find it click on it to mount it in the Windows file system (as a drive) go to drive letter it mounted to (G: H: whatever)...click setup (No thumb drive needed)

You do need to clear probably more than 9GB on C: use disk cleanup (the sytem files choice) and/or CCleaner

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Download ISO go find it click on it to mount it in the Windows file system (as a drive) go to drive letter it mounted to (G: H: whatever)...click setup (No thumb drive needed)

You do need to clear probably more than 9GB on C: use disk cleanup (the sytem files choice) and/or CCleaner

Sadly, the 9GB is having used disk clean up and the like. Even if I uninstall everything it won't give too much back, and then, I might as well do a clean install.

BCL_WA

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Many of the issues I had with SP4 seem to be resolved with the Windows Nov update. The screen flickering is gone and so has the sound popping. Battery life is much much better and the fans don't continuously keep kicking in any longer because the unit is running much cooler. The only issue I have now is the display driver still keeps crashing and recovering.

I'm finally happy with my SP4!

Thanks for posting this. I cannot tell what Surface 4 config you have but I have a i5,256gb with 16GB ram and only had the fan come on once initially and again during an update. Even though I spent 2~ 3 hours doing extensive editing of photos between Lightroom and Photoshop CC @ 75% brightness- one would think the fan would kick in. It did not. I find this odd.

I have my Surface 4 all ready to return but I'm curious if this last update really made the battery life better? I could see in your case if the Surface is running warm + the fan is coming on then perhaps this update did settle things down on your unit. I just ponder if same improvements transfer over to the other Surface 4 configs - i5, i7, Core, etc. etc.

If anyone has any info re: if the latest/greatest update improved battery life, please share your thoughts.
I really like the device but I'm on the fence with keeping it. It is expensive.
b

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for the November update on my SP4 ... I've been checking every 15 minutes and nothing. It's annoying that they're not giving it to me, LOL! Seriously, the update cannot come soon enough to fix all the issues with this device ...

You need to get on internet explorer, go to settings and go to CONNECTIONS tab / LAN Settings and uncheck the box PROXY SERVER box. It's what was causing me from getting Installation failed.

ajaffarali

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the i5 with 8gb and 256gb.

I haven't done any scientific tests but it has been over 24 hours and I have probably used my surface for 4+ hours. The rest was in standby. Battery life still shows another hour.

Prior to the update, I would have had to charge it twice to get a similar result.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
You need to get on internet explorer, go to settings and go to CONNECTIONS tab / LAN Settings and uncheck the box PROXY SERVER box. It's what was causing me from getting Installation failed.

Curious, I just checked and the Proxy Server box was already unchecked. :eck:

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
How come SP4 and SB use same ISO as normal Desks & lappies? Dont they ship with their own firmware & OS like those on phones? Correct me, if I'm wrong.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Curious, I just checked and the Proxy Server box was already unchecked. :eck:

well next logical step is to get the windows 10 upgrade. its a download. skip the ISO thing, just download windows 10 directly from microsoft. It will already come with the new update TH2. Takes about a few hrs to download this gig. u wont have to reformat the pc.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How come SP4 and SB use same ISO as normal Desks & lappies? Dont they ship with their own firmware & OS like those on phones? Correct me, if I'm wrong.

The ISO is strictly Software. Has nothing to do with firmware.

The software is the same. Windows 10.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The ISO is strictly Software. Has nothing to do with firmware.

The software is the same. Windows 10.

Technically not true ....
For instance the 11/2 Firmware update contained...
November 2015 updates
The following update will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 11/2/2015” when you view your update history.

Note
When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update then please manually check Windows Update later.
HD Graphics 520 driver update (v20.19.15.4308) addresses some display issues, including some scenarios that result in screen flickering.
Display audio driver update (v8.20.0.659) supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.
Surface Embedded Controller Firmware update (v103.855.257.0) improves system stability.
Surface Pen Settings driver update (v10.0.302.0) adds support for future functionality on Windows 10.

A future ISO would roll these into the ISO as it has both the .wim and the drivers rolled into it to support the surface 4 and a plethora of other makes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786