Horrid Wifi performance. Anyone else?

LewsTherin05

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I just got the i5/128GB SP4 yesterday, fully updated and virtually nothing installed.
I have 150mbps Verizon Fios and everything I try, SpeedTest.Net, Steam, etc... I get about 3-5mbps speeds and it's very flaky (latency all over the place). My other wireless devices are easily able to max out my 150mbps connection with virtually no latency.

I've also had a similar experience when tethering to my cell or using wifi at the office...always horrible.

I know this is a new device and if it's a software issue I'm willing to wait it out.
I haven't seen many threads on this particular issue however so I'm curious if anyone else has the issue. If not maybe I should just exchange this one.

Appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:

LewsTherin05

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, just had a bit of the breakthrough.

I changed the SP4 wireless adapter setting to 5GHz only...and now it's running full speed.
2.4GHz or Auto, and I get the ~5mbps.

LewsTherin05

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
May want to have a look at this:

That is probably a better "fix" than forcing the wireless adapter to 5GHz mode; especially if you bring your Surface to somewhere with just a 2.4GHz connection and forget about the setting.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the OP, I had tried that fix but unfortunately it made no difference.

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
How does one force the wireless adapter to a different GHz mode? I was having terrible limited connectivity wifi problems with my SP4 and tried every single fix available on the internet. I couldn't figure out how to do what you did, however.

Regardless, my wifi issue is mostly resolved. After spending on hour on the phone with a Microsoft tech, a fresh installation of drivers did the trick for me, but your wifi issue was different.

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep, same with me, though the fix listed above got me from 4-5 to 7-8. New firmware updates are coming this week and Wi-Fi has to be fixed!? Apparently it only affects certain routers, though I haven't been able to verify that.

LewsTherin05

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
How does one force the wireless adapter to a different GHz mode? I was having terrible limited connectivity wifi problems with my SP4 and tried every single fix available on the internet. I couldn't figure out how to do what you did, however.

Regardless, my wifi issue is mostly resolved. After spending on hour on the phone with a Microsoft tech, a fresh installation of drivers did the trick for me, but your wifi issue was different.

There may be a more direct route but this is what I did:
1. Open the control panel
2. Select Network and Sharing Center
3. Click Change Adapter Settings on the left menu
4. Right click on the wifi adapter and select Properties
5. Click the Configure button at the top right of the window
6. Go to the Advanced Tab and change the Band property and OK out

Still working like a champ. Hope the next update fixes this but for now, the 5ghz only setting is getting me full speed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786