New Surface system update coming this week!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
These updates do not fix the display driver crashing all the time. Mine has crashed 4 times already after these updates. This is why no one likes MS. They cant fix a display driver crash? The SP4 is the buggiest device ever.

Display drivers are the written by the device makers and it's their responsibility. It's Intel that wrote that graphics driver. Hate to break it to you but Apple, Microsoft, etc. do not write the drivers. Neither does Dell, HP, etc. Intel submits the driver to the companies who certify them. But these companies don't write the code, only Intel.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Regardless of who wrote the drivers, the final quality control is Microsoft's responsibility. And they have failed in that, no question about it.
All we can hope for now is that the next update is coming very soon.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
weird there are ZERO m3/i7 owners ever complaining..only i5

Me thinks the i5 skylake cpu is to blame..not MS
Again it goes back to mass market versus more custom smaller lot sizes... Intel made a BOATLOAD of skylakes and on the mobile side the i5 was the mass market one. Probably just shoved out the door en mass.

Goes back to 3 out of 6 i5 SP4 faulty in Mission Valley store..bad mojo

charlesbell

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. I wanted to report that since I updated, my battery drain has greatly improved. In the past, it would drain 2-4% per hour when it was hibernating. It is now draining at less than 1% an hour.

I'm not sure about the other issues that people are reporting.

Charles

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. I wanted to report that since I updated, my battery drain has greatly improved. In the past, it would drain 2-4% per hour when it was hibernating. It is now draining at less than 1% an hour.

I'm not sure about the other issues that people are reporting.

Charles

Hibernate or Sleep?

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I have multiple apple products and have never had a display driver crash. Apple writes drivers for all their hardware. Of course they work with Intel to do so.

Never had a crash just scrolling up and down on a web site.

Poor quality control. Period.

Can you tell me which Apple products you have that run on 6th-Generation Intel processors? Apple does not write their own drivers...they have no clue how to optimize an Intel CPU or Nvidia GPU. They do not make the hardware, and only further optimize a prewritten driver to better suite their needs. Just as Microsoft does not write drivers for hardware that is not made by them. No company makes drivers for other hardware product, anyone would be foolish to think otherwise.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I've still have a few Display Driver crashes, but far less than before. I feel that its at least little enough for me to continue owning my Surface while it's repaired vs. returning. Up until this firmware release, it was just unbearable.

mmoran27

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I hate to break it to you, but Apple tests all the drivers from al the manufacturers like MS is supposed to do.
That is why there are no display driver crashes on my macs.

Apparently the SP4 cannot handle web browsing without crashing.

There are no skylake macs yet because apple does not release buggy products.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I hate to break it to you, but Apple tests all the drivers from al the manufacturers like MS is supposed to do.

My M3 has never crashed web browsing

mmoran27

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
There are no skylake macs yet because apple does not release products this buggy period. Cant even browse a web page without crashing. It is joke. If you want to tell me that you have a sp4 where the display driver does not crash regularly, contact MS and let them know how you fixed this issue. Because they haven't fixed it yet. Check all the forums.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have any display driver crashes so far and I didn't do anything special, just installed all the updates and the software and it's been working great ever since. I have the average config, i5/256/8. The only issue I had so far was that upon resuming from sleep the screen would stay black. I went in the power settings and changed all the hibernate to never and it hasn't happened since (knocking on wood). But no other issues so far, fan hasn't come on since the updates install, no display driver crash and battery seems quite decent - I'll try to get a more accurate estimate as soon as i figure out how.

PS I am only using firefox with addblock for the browsing.

mmoran27

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Firefox more than likely does not use GPU acceleration. Seems like anything that does crashes the driver. I've had Cortana crash it, edge crashes it, wake from sleep today crashed it.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
There are no skylake macs yet because apple does not release products this buggy period. Cant even browse a web page without crashing. It is joke. If you want to tell me that you have a sp4 where the display driver does not crash regularly, contact MS and let them know how you fixed this issue. Because they haven't fixed it yet. Check all the forums.

Oh, so the iPad Pro that requires a hard restart when charged isn't buggy?

Apple 'Investigating' iPad Pros Unresponsive After Charging, Recommends Restart as Interim Fix - Mac Rumors

admittedly I just had my very first Intel driver crash when copying that URL. The first crash I have seen.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Macs are running generations-old processors that have had their kinks/drivers worked out. There are no Macs with current generation processors. If you want to keep running old processors, get a Mac.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
weird there are ZERO m3/i7 owners ever complaining..only i5

Me thinks the i5 skylake cpu is to blame..not MS
Again it goes back to mass market versus more custom smaller lot sizes... Intel made a BOATLOAD of skylakes and on the mobile side the i5 was the mass market one. Probably just shoved out the door en mass.

Goes back to 3 out of 6 i5 SP4 faulty in Mission Valley store..bad mojo

Uh no, responsibility for the final product rests with Microsoft, not Intel.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
It's seems to be something in the loads of advertisements loading in pages causing these crashes. I recently "installed' Edge Ad Block and the driver crashes have completely gone away now, plus I don't have to deal with ads anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb