1. wilson_smyth's Avatar
    Getting the following error on my surface pro 4 today:

    Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

    The device locks up for a few seconds each time the error occurs & Its accompanied by the following error in the event viewer:

    An attempt to configure the input mode of a multitouch device failed.

    I have not installed anything new in the past few days so unsure why this would suddenly start happening. Any ideas?
    11-25-2015 03:23 PM
  2. m4600's Avatar
    Buggy Intel driver and/or Windows 10. Welcome to the club! Most of us are seeing the same issue. Some are affected more than others. I think it depends on what software or browser you are using.
    11-25-2015 04:40 PM
  3. m4600's Avatar
    By the way, this problem is not unique to Surface or even the latest Intel chip-set. After some recent updates I started getting the same occasional video driver failure on my 2-year old Dell laptop. The good news is that in most cases it recovers without causing BSOD. I hope Intel and Microsoft will sort it out soon!
    11-25-2015 04:46 PM
  4. GatsbyGlen's Avatar
    By the way, this problem is not unique to Surface or even the latest Intel chip-set. After some recent updates I started getting the same occasional video driver failure on my 2-year old Dell laptop. The good news is that in most cases it recovers without causing BSOD. I hope Intel and Microsoft will sort it out soon!
    I agree. After the TH2 update, I "was" getting the same error daily on my Lenovo. However, I've since updated it with the latest beta drivers for the Intel adapter and haven't seen the crash since.
    11-25-2015 05:03 PM
  5. rocketboy's Avatar
    I also think I've had more of these since a big update a few days ago. :/

    Display drivers for Win 10 have been a disaster for me. My desktop computer can't be used for gaming unless I keep NVidia drivers dating back to March installed and suppressing Windows update's attempts to convince me otherwise. So frustrating.
    11-25-2015 06:31 PM
  6. RichBrown68's Avatar
    I created a poll over on surfaceforums dot net, and 80% of people said that when they use a browser other than Edge, they do not experience the graphics-driver crashes. My personal theory is that the remaining 20% maybe didn't realize that Edge was open while they actively used another browser.
    11-27-2015 06:04 AM
  7. m4600's Avatar
    I created a poll over on surfaceforums dot net, and 80% of people said that when they use a browser other than Edge, they do not experience the graphics-driver crashes. My personal theory is that the remaining 20% maybe didn't realize that Edge was open while they actively used another browser.
    I think the problem is present with all the browsers, it just manifests differently with different browsers. For example with Chrome instead of the driver crash I get the browser crash.
    11-27-2015 06:11 AM
  8. unni_kmr's Avatar
    I never use Edge. Got the crash twice with Opera and once with Firefox yesterday.

    Just had another one while using Firefox. Only other app in the foreground was Adobe Reader. I didn't see any Edge process in task manager.
    11-27-2015 08:17 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Free Display Dock via the Lumia Offers app on 950 XL?
    By GudsFortapelse in forum Windows Phones
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 10:34 AM
  2. 950XL and Nokia Wireless Stand Charger
    By vincentw56 in forum Windows Phones
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03-27-2016, 08:48 AM
  3. Display Dock Offer works!
    By cnashx in forum Windows Phones
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-16-2016, 08:49 PM
  4. Surface Lid and random touch events
    By Brad Johnson4 in forum Microsoft Surface Pro
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 11:23 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2015, 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD