Man, we need a better onscreen keyboard, like Swiftkey

Misterb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I came from an Android tablet, and it allowed me to install Swiftkey as my onscreen keyboard. The combination of the split keyboard allowing thumb typing, along with auto correct and suggested words, really meant that I could crank away with typing. Yes, I have a nice external SP4 keyboard, but that isn't always convenient to use if you're sitting on a couch or laying down. The onscreen keyboard included in Windows 10 is an absolute joke. First off, they don't give us a usable browser, so we have to install Chrome. Once you do that, it no longer suggests words. Even still, it just isn't very good or smart at providing a quick and efficient way of typing. I mean, come on. If I come to the end of a sentence, I should be able to hit space bar twice, which would insert a period, add two spaces, and capitalize the first letter. But, no. I have to enter all those key strokes separately, which really adds up to a slower experience.

The entire thing is just aggravating, because it seems to me that all it would take is for Microsoft to allow Swiftkey and others to simply provide a keyboard, instead of behaving as Apple did for years with their lousy keyboard.

Are there any hacks or other ways to make this work in the meantime?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmm All of that works in Firefox, IDK about chrome, because I will never use it lol. At least the suggested words, not sure about the hit space twice to enter a period, but I thought it did...

Also, you can switch your keyboard view to have a split keyboard. Personally I use the one that looks like a normal keyboard (shows the number keys above the top row) undocked so i can move it around based on where I'm typing at on the screen.

Misterb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hmmmm All of that works in Firefox, IDK about chrome, because I will never use it lol. At least the suggested words, not sure about the hit space twice to enter a period, but I thought it did...

Also, you can switch your keyboard view to have a split keyboard. Personally I use the one that looks like a normal keyboard (shows the number keys above the top row) undocked so i can move it around based on where I'm typing at on the screen.

I didn't mean to suggest it doesn't have the split keyboard. it does, and I have been using it that way. The rest leaves a lot to be desired. Way too many errors and extra strokes. They just need to allow Swiftkey, and be done with it. Typing this last paragraph on the SP4 took forever, and makes me want to gouge my eye balls out

sooby77

Jan 27, 2007
Visit site
I could not agree more. Windows 10 keyboard implementation is just abysmal. Do Microsoft prohibit 3rd party keyboards like what iOS used to do?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What's sad is that Microsoft already has the solution- their own WordFlow keyboard with predictive input, currently in use on Windows Phone.

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I disagree because i hate all keyboards on Android. I always use the split keyboard and it always works for me. Occasionally I might use word suggestions but I don't like autocorrect. But honestly I don't really type anything that would be painful to type on a touch screen on a touch screen.

Misterb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I disagree because i hate all keyboards on Android. I always use the split keyboard and it always works for me. Occasionally I might use word suggestions but I don't like autocorrect. But honestly I don't really type anything that would be painful to type on a touch screen on a touch screen.

That's just it, Swiftkey makes typing on a touch screen painless, unlike what I'm experiencing at the moment.

To give you an idea, I will type the above sentence just as it comes out without correcting it:

thats jusr kr swift,ej makes tyoimg in a tiuvh screen oaunless , unlike what um eclerkemfkmg at tne miment

Good lord. What a joke!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What's sad is that Microsoft already has the solution- their own WordFlow keyboard with predictive input, currently in use on Windows Phone.

Microsoft needs to add WordFlow to Windows tablets. My 7" WinBook tablet is in a drawer, since I can't type on it. I'm using a Nexus 7 tablet with SwiftKey, since I can type on it. I'd definitely use the WinBook tablet if it had WordFlow like Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I know this probably isn't for most people, but using the pen in place of the on-screen keyboard works pretty well. I agree that the stock keyboard is terrible :(

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
There are already requests for this in both the Windows 10 Feedback app and & UserVoice, but it seems to have been ignored thus far. I made a WC thread and concept for it back in March, http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...gle-hand-keyboard-experience-tablet-mode.html

WordFlow%20in%20Tablet%20Windows%2010_zpsbmrw7z4r.jpg

sooby77

Jan 27, 2007
Visit site
The worst thing about all of this is that if I have the keyboard detached, it automatically shows the handwriting recognition panel instead of a keyboard. I'd rather peck with my pen. But there doesn't seem to be a way to set to just show keyboard regardless. It's so incredibly annoying.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The worst thing about all of this is that if I have the keyboard detached, it automatically shows the handwriting recognition panel instead of a keyboard. I'd rather peck with my pen. But there doesn't seem to be a way to set to just show keyboard regardless. It's so incredibly annoying.

That shouldn't be happening. You may want to look into what's causing that.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
They already had motion keyboard functionality in Windows Phone 8.1. Are they not automatically including that in Windows 10 mobile? I really wish they would bring that ability over to the Windows 10 on screen keyboard.
I go from my Windows Phone and swiping around the letters to needing to type stuff on my Surface.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Word flow would be great for the surface range. I find using word flow easier than typing and it's still better than typing on a laptop with full keyboard

ramontomzer

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft now owns SwiftKey... I think something is in the works... As to when it comes out... Surface pro 5 time is my guess... But keep in mind, that's just my guess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa