New to Surface - What apps do you use?

reznej

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I switched from full Apple (MacBook Air + IPad Air) to the Surface Pro 4 and I love this device. It's absolutely amazing and impressive.
I want to use the surface as a replacement for both worlds. I want to use it as my main computer and at the same time as my Ipad-like entertainment-tablet. And I hope you can help me to setup the surface to achieve that goal.

My problem is I don't know which apps I should use. For example I use Inbox (Google) for e-Mail. I can use the chrome app launcher to use inbox but it's not touch optimized. So I thought about using the Windows 10 mail app. It's not that feature-rich but touch-friendly. I could further use Outlook 2016 as a desktop-option. But then I would use two programs for mails. I would rather use one app for everything. Is that possible?

I would like to emulate the iPad experience with touch optimized apps for mail, calendar, Facebook, office, maps, spotify... What apps do you use to get the best experience?

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't think you're going to find ANY apps in the Windows Store that will replace the ones you've grown accustomed to. The Microsoft Mail & Calendar apps are probably the best you'll get for that solution. Facebook's Windows 10 UWA is in beta and limited to developers, Spotify doesn't exist. Office apps require a 365 subscription.

I mainly use Mail. Calendar, WatchESPN, CBS, Twitter, Weather Channel, USA Today, Netflix, 8-Zip, Rhapsody & Photos

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Gmail can be synced with mail and is very touch friendly. If you just want touch friendly Gmail features try the official Google app in the store. It has Google apps built in. If you need anything more advanced try outlook. It is also very touch friendly.

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Listed below are some apps I noted down so that I can use them when the need arises.

AppRaisin - info about new apps
Files & Folders Lite -file manager
Fitbit
Grover - podcasts
mTalk - forum app
Shazam
TeamViewer
Wunderlist - todo list

Forums
Heep - StackExchange

Maps
gMaps - Google maps
Sygic - offline navigation

Music Players
Music Mode

Online Videos
Anime HD Stream 2 - free Anime shows
Cartoon HD Stream - free cartoon shows

Utilities
Share Via Clipboard - share text, link, images etc between apps

Video Players
MX Player
Perfect Movies
VLC

Wallpapers

Brilli Wallpaper Changer

YouTube

TubeCast for YouTube Free
PerfectTube
Hyper

Others
Bookviser - ebook reader
FileRenamer
Newsmater - news feeds
Perfect Dictionary - offline dictionary
Plex
Traktor-TV show tracker

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I switched from full Apple (MacBook Air + IPad Air) to the Surface Pro 4 and I love this device. It's absolutely amazing and impressive.
I want to use the surface as a replacement for both worlds. I want to use it as my main computer and at the same time as my Ipad-like entertainment-tablet. And I hope you can help me to setup the surface to achieve that goal.

My problem is I don't know which apps I should use. For example I use Inbox (Google) for e-Mail. I can use the chrome app launcher to use inbox but it's not touch optimized. So I thought about using the Windows 10 mail app. It's not that feature-rich but touch-friendly. I could further use Outlook 2016 as a desktop-option. But then I would use two programs for mails. I would rather use one app for everything. Is that possible?

I would like to emulate the iPad experience with touch optimized apps for mail, calendar, Facebook, office, maps, spotify... What apps do you use to get the best experience?
If you are looking for native Google Apps like inbox, you can run them as apps via chrome browser and even put them as shortcuts on your desktop.

Inbox looks the same as on Android, but some of the other ones are less touch optimized. I've pretty much found an equivalent to any android app I would need on my pc.

If you're really stuck check out amiduos or blue stacks. Both are android emulators and work pretty well. (I prefer amiduos)

DuStU

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Rez this is what I did. I downloaded amiduos (android emulator) and for tablet mode I use android apps. Since I'm already in the Android ecosystem I re-downloaded all my games and I'm good. Now for Gmail this is what you can do. Don't use apps use chrome and go to tools and save them in windowed mode then you search for the saved link on your apps and put it on your start bar (I have a tablet section). Now when you click on it it will open the Chrome version of Gmail in a window like it would do in a full tablet. I did this for fandango, Gmail, watch Espn, etc. No need to download apps just use chrome browser.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DuStU

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Rez apologies I misread and saw you already do that(save apps and put on start bar). If you prefer a touch optimized app there is mail (feels limited) also I use the Gmail app in amiduos which is stellar on Android.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077