Surface Pro 4 - Thrown off Desk. Fell to the ground

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sigh.

Charger cord got tangled up in the chair. I rolled to my right and the surface pro 4 came with me. I did not realise what was going on till i heard the loud smash on the floor. I did not want to look back. In my head i was praying it was not my SP4 .

I slowly turned around. There it was on the floor from roughly 3 foot high table and probably another 3 feet in distance traveled towards me. The keyboard was tossed to the side. Thankfully, it landed on it's back.

I picked her up and looked at her. Windows Hello logged me right in as if nothing had happened.

I placed her back on the table and connected the keyboard. So far everything works as normal but I'm still shaken by the whole thing; there are no noticeable scratches , dings or dents on the back side.

*Sigh* Traumatized.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I love the "I picked her up and looked at her. Windows Hello logged me right in as if nothing had happened" line. :)

I'm really thinking of using a longer cord to go from the charging brick to my surge protector. It's way too easy to send the plug that goes into the Surface falling to the ground as there's not a lot of extra slack for me.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I love the "I picked her up and looked at her. Windows Hello logged me right in as if nothing had happened" line. :)

I'm really thinking of using a longer cord to go from the charging brick to my surge protector. It's way too easy to send the plug that goes into the Surface falling to the ground as there's not a lot of extra slack for me.
I myself purchased a 2 meter cable for a couple of euros on amazon. Makes it very worth the wait. I can cross the room all the while being plugged in. Haha.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
You are so lucky. I dropped my Lumia 1520 on hard concrete and it landed face down. I NEVER drop phones. This was a first. Luckily only a minor dent in corner casing and screen was ok. Not smashed. I was so lucky.

wasabiman123

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
It's crazy how bad I've treated my Surface Pros. SP1=abused like no other, would leave out in the sun to bake and thrown around. SP3 drop it all the damn time. No phasing at all, except SP3 metal thing on the kickstand peeling off...

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
About 5 days ago I applied for Microsoft Complete and was going to an MS Store to get it inspected before they'd give me the protection.

4 days ago I knocked it off a Cisco router in a data center and smashed it bad. The device still works, but the screen is shattered and you can't really use it because it picks the cracks up a touches all over the screen.

Has anyone ever heard of the screen/glass being replaced? I assume its impossible.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I picked her up and looked at her. Windows Hello logged me right in as if nothing had happened.

Hah, excellent.

I once dropped my Surface 2 while I was traveling from my car to my office building. It was in a pretty hardy case, so no external damage appeared to have occurred. It was fine for the day, seemed perfectly normal. The next day I turned it on and about a third of the screen wasn't working. Part of the display had detached within.

Thankfully, I had Microsoft Complete so I was able to get it in and get it replaced. But just a heads up, you could still see some damage.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't the magnetic connector just pop off if your chair pulls on it? I can't imagine why it would pull the surface along with it since it's only magnets

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't the magnetic connector just pop off if your chair pulls on it? I can't imagine why it would pull the surface along with it since it's only magnets

Who know's. It should.

It pops out a lot easier in a lot less intensive situations. Go figure. lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077