Volume buttons and home button not working, how can I fix them?

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Volume buttons and home button not working

I finally got around to installing some Windows updates, including a FW update from 10.29.15 (?). Everything went smoothly, except now my volume buttons, power button and home buttons don't work. I remember when I first got my Surface Pro3 it was like this as well, but I don't remember what I did to resolve it. I do remember these buttons are enabled / disabled together.

I checked the Surface Home Button setting in Device Manager, it says The Device Cannot Start (code 10). I uninstalled the driver (didn't delete), and rebooted. No change.

Any suggestions?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Like you I saw this after installing W10, and like you I can't remember what I did to get them back!

You could try reinstalling the drivers

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Resolution: turns out there was a corrupted .inf file. Working with MS tech support, we narrowed it down to that, deleted the .inf file, deleted the driver, and rebooted. Reinstalled the driver, everything is back to normal. :amaze:

Wangsy1005

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I'm experiencing the same problem on my surface 3; Could you tell me the specific file needs to be deleted?
Rly appreciate your help!

fishhead_soup

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Volume buttons and home button not working

Old post same problem with my solution, at least on my Surface3.

Go to

Device Manager > System Devices > Surface Home Button > Enable

Sure volume rocker now works, however so does the home button and occasionally the narrator turn on. If its not one thing...

DJSweeney

May 18, 2018
Visit site
Re: Volume buttons and home button not working

Found a solution to the power, volume and start button not working on my Surface 3 running Windows 10...

Since this was originally an upgrade from Windows 8.1, Device Manager had "Surface Button" listed under System Devices, NOT "Surface Home Button". This apparently blocked installation of the correct driver.

Solution (for me) was (in Device Manager, under System Devices) to right-click on "Surface Button", select "Uninstall Device", check the "Delete the driver software for this device", and click the "Uninstall" button. After uninstall, reboot the Surface.

Once I rebooted, Windows 10 properly detected and installed the "Surface Home Button" and all my buttons are working as expected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)