New Surface pro 4 I7 screen defect/issue

Kojidog

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I just got my Surface pro 4. When it came in the mail the box seemed kind of beat up which made me wonder. Also the packaging was just stuffed paper on one side of the box leaving the other just with the Surface Pro. After applying a screen protector I turned it on and noticed on the black screen there was a white fade on the bottom of the screen where the keyboard would attach. Have anyone heard of this issue? I think it's lame I got the product new like that. I was thinking I'll take it to a Microsoft store to have them take a look at it since I bought it from Microsoft. What's your thoughts?:eck:

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Are you referring to light bleed?

GjKNA-9hpGH3fnk8tOtg58emQBb4NngMNW3JBbtEb_Y.jpg
Yes, it happens. You can return it and get another one if it really bugs you. I've seen most devices have it but only on super dark screens. So if it bugs you, exchange it. It was poor quality control.

I think MS is going to lose more customers than get them because of the Surface Pro 4 issues.
I personally experienced
  • light bleed
  • deep sleep issue
  • micro lags since last update
  • poor graphics drivers (intel's fault, but still, MS released a device with nonfunctioning drivers)
  • Poor SSD performance (My SP2 has more than double the write speed than my SP4, both i5s)
  • Slow times (takes 3 hours to reinstall windows, while on my desktop and SP2 it takes less than 3 minutes). Updates to TH2 took about an hour and a half or an hour, I don't remember now. Buggy system, honestly
  • Black screen upon rebooting
  • Disconnecting from Pen
  • Screen Flex

I returned my 2 SP4s and I'm going to wait a month or so, if they don't fix them, then I'm going another route for my computing needs.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Some light bleed from the bottom of the screen (especially during startup when the rest of the screen in black) was present an all SP's I ever saw from the SP1 to the SP4. No idea where it comes form but you usually shouldn't see it except at boot time or if you're staring at a black screen.

Blairpoll

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Mine has it too but only really noticeable when starting up not so much when in windows but just the fact its there annoys me on a 1299 quid machine and don't get me started on the gpu drivers.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Same here: SP4 i7 lot number 1548 - visible light bleed on higher brightness levels.

Lowest brightness:
NfBkVyIm.jpg

Highest brightness:
dBDvQC8m.jpg

Overexposed:
si9YaSzm.jpg

Auto brightness real live example shows that it's not really visible except on startup and times where you run max. brightness:
1UBFZogl.jpg

MKfnTahl.jpg

Last edited:

dotnethaggis

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
My SP4 i7 is exactly the same regarding the backlight bleed.

I'm trying to put up with it. To be honest, I think if I returned it for a replacement I would end up with it also having the problem.

I bought mine from John Lewis in the UK anyway and I can return it up to 90 days for a refund so will see how it goes whether it gets any worse or not. Or if I can't put up with it anymore...

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Agreed - wont be easy to find one right now with lesser light bleed I guess. Only option to get a perfect one might be to return and wait a couple months and the purchase again.

I will only return if I find one more major issue which is not the case yet. Also I recently read that too many returns on amazon can lead to lifetime account closure. What a mistake that I bought my recent MS devices there. Big learning in general: dont by new hardware on release, dont by expensive and troublesome devices at amazon.

Kojidog

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feed back folks. Looks like I'll have to return it too. I don't see how such a premium product could have such a major problem either. what a big disappointment. I've been waiting to get one since pro1... reminds me of one of those Ashen Youtube shows where they review cheap devices with the crappy screens made in China... Wait.. Made in China.:angry:

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I changed my mind after calibrating the screen yesterday. This is the most accurate mobile screen I've ever had. Will post details soon. Color accuracy, panel uniformity, contrast ratio are kickass. I don't really reach 417cd brightness as some reviewers do (mine 380cd max) but brightness comes at battery cost.

Still: This bleed is totally unnecessary and it seems like the panels are all slightly different in performance (especially brightness) and bleed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb