SP4 Full Body Skins

zimbo94

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello there, I've heard that the surface is prone to scratches. I really don't like covers since they would ruin Surface's brilliant design. Therefore I'm wondering if a full body clear (maybe matte?) skin could do the job. Or, maybe, is just a simple sleeve enough?
Is there any feedback from you?

Thanks in advance for any help.:wink::wink:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've used DecalGIrl and Skinit. Both are great.

I'll post some pics. DecalGirl offers glossy and matte. Skinit was glossy only the last time I used it. However, I do prefer the glossy because the matte doesn't stand out (I've owned both glossy and matte).

Skins are definitely great for protection. When they get scratched up or damaged, just peel it off and apply a new skin.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello there, I've heard that the surface is prone to scratches. I really don't like covers since they would ruin Surface's brilliant design. Therefore I'm wondering if a full body clear (maybe matte?) skin could do the job. Or, maybe, is just a simple sleeve enough?
Is there any feedback from you?

Thanks in advance for any help.:wink::wink:

Surface is NOT prone to scratches.

zimbo94

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your replies guys. Let's answer in order:

To Brownartist:
However I'm not sure if he produces transparent ones.

To onlysublime:
Did you damage your skin yet? Also I prefer matte because I don't want to alter surface's look.

To boltman2013:
Really? So you don't raccommend putting a skin to me, right? Is using just a sleeve enough for protection?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your replies guys. Let's answer in order:

To Brownartist:
However I'm not sure if he produces transparent ones.

To onlysublime:
Did you damage your skin yet? Also I prefer matte because I don't want to alter surface's look.

To boltman2013:
Really? So you don't raccommend putting a skin to me, right? Is using just a sleeve enough for protection?

Its the car bra thing... why cover beauty?

I don't get people who buy expensive objects that have already been designed to withstand damage or to be thin and the first thing they do is cover it up with a cheap case, film or skin...I also dislike bumper stickers and calvin peeing crap too.

Look at it this way.... if you cover it it will never look as intended by the original designers..who probably know better what works.

Only cover I ever do is tempered glass..on the phone in my pocket.

You are not putting surface in you pocket.

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Skins will eventually scratch like anything else. After a year or so, you'll see nicks and scratches at various places on the skin, mostly near the edges. But better to scratch up a skin than the body of the Surface.

When I peel off a skin, the Surface looks like it just came factory out of the box. Just pristine. Let the skin bear the brunt of the damage.

zimbo94

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Skins will eventually scratch like anything else. After a year or so, you'll see nicks and scratches at various places on the skin, mostly near the edges. But better to scratch up a skin than the body of the Surface.

When I peel off a skin, the Surface looks like it just came factory out of the box. Just pristine. Let the skin bear the brunt of the damage.

Yeah, can you post some pictures of yours?

Also I would like to know if other people use these things on their surfaces. I'd like to get some feedback on how a matte skin changes the "touch and visual feeling" compared to the magnesium one.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'll post the latest ones I have for my Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 2 (both sporting the glossy). The last time I got the matte was for my Surface RT or Surface 2 (forgot which one).

As for feel, it's kind of in-between the feel of vinyl (like with stickers) and stationary paper if that makes sense. You won't feel the texture of the VaporMg.

I do have old pictures posted previously. These are matte and from my Surface RT:
tFS7CcW.jpg

This is glossy from my Surface Pro 2 (i5/8GB/512GB):
a5DnK5k.jpg

This is glossy from my other Surface Pro 2 (i5/8GB/256GB):
jwK8Y7h.jpg

It's hard to take pictures. The glossy ones were taken at night. It's hard to tell but to get colors to pop, you need the glossy. You'll notice (hopefully) the color is more intense with glossy.

I haven't posted the ones for the Surface Pro 4 yet. Also, the skin not only is for the back, but also for the front and for the side edges.

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
What are all of you doing that you are getting scratches on the SP4? I think I would have to have thrown it in the bag with my keys to get any scratches on this thing. You know its not a frisbee right? :winktongue:

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Nothing out of the ordinary. Laying it down on a table and moving it while picking it up is all I can think caused mine to scratch.

It's definitely not as resilient to scratches as you'd think (and possibly worse than other Surface devices)

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Nothing out of the ordinary. Laying it down on a table and moving it while picking it up is all I can think caused mine to scratch.

It's definitely not as resilient to scratches as you'd think (and possibly worse than other Surface devices)

Ever think of only laying it on the Type Cover side only? Maybe a microfiber lined case too?
Think most of these scratches are user error , not thinking.

Tuono

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Ordered one of these in black, will post some pictures and a review once I pick it up next week.

Incipio Feather for Surface Pro 4

My main reason for wanting a slim cover was that my SP4 is replacing my MacBook Air and traditional notepad and pen. I wanted some extra protection when using the SP4 in tablet mode, when laid flat on a desk.

Can't post links yet, as I've only just joined the forum, but Google Incipio surface pro 4 feather for the details.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Case are nice. The main advantage is some minor protection against drops (which skins do nothing to help). But they're so bulky and almost defeat the nice look for the Surface Pro 4.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Ever think of only laying it on the Type Cover side only? Maybe a microfiber lined case too?
Think most of these scratches are user error , not thinking.

I was using a SP3 at work and never followed any particular rules how to lay it down / avoid scratches etc. After 1 year it still locks decent even though it has scratches.

My 2 days of SP4 instantly got scratched when using at home on a wooden table surface. I believe that the SP4 paint is different from the SP3 paint.

If I don't use the SP4 laying flat down (as a tablet) on hard surfaces then there wont be any scratches for sure.
Have to be triple extra careful with the SP4 from now on.

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Ordered one of these in black, will post some pictures and a review once I pick it up next week.

Incipio Feather for Surface Pro 4

My main reason for wanting a slim cover was that my SP4 is replacing my MacBook Air and traditional notepad and pen. I wanted some extra protection when using the SP4 in tablet mode, when laid flat on a desk.

Can't post links yet, as I've only just joined the forum, but Google Incipio surface pro 4 feather for the details.

I tried to find the Incipio Feather for Surface Pro 4 but could not find it. I find it for the SP3 with no problem. Who did you purchase this case from?

Update: I purchased this case directly from the Incipio website for $44.99. I never did find it on Amazon or any other site. And yes, I am aware that some don't agree with covering the SP4 because of hiding it's gorgeous design. To be honest, I mostly agree with that argument. I am not really concerned with scratches as I am with banging up the sides and corners of my SP4. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I need to be careful and 98% of the time I am very careful in how I treat my SP4. But for me, and I can only speak for me, if this case works out then I am going to give it a try. And if turns out to be a cheap case then I will go back to using my SP4 with no case at all.

Here is the link for this case: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...e-microsoft-surface-pro-4.html&token=TMXDvvUV

I have used this case for a couple of days now and so far so good. I wish they sold a clear case instead of black, blue, pink, or red. But I am still able to use the kickstand and the type cover with no issues at all.

Last edited:

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Here is my Incipio Truman Sleeve. The material didn't feel cheap. I bought this mainly because it was thin. The padding inside is slightly thick. I think that will give sufficient protection while travelling, but if I could find another case with more padding, I will replace this. You will have to carry the power brick separately.

I also got Stickerboy skins.
The first two pics are of the "Silver Brushed Aluminum". I initially purchased "White Stealth Matte" thinking the word "stealth" implies that it is transparent. The last 3 photos are with the "White Stealth Matte" skin.

I definitely recommend the Stickerboy skins. They were really easy to apply, easier that putting a screen guard on a mobile phone. The installation video here was also useful.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos