How do I assign the desktop version of OneNote to the Surface Pro's pen's rear button?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How to assign the desktop version of OneNote to the Surface Pro's pen's rear button?

The pen of the MS Surface Pro 3 has an in principle interesting feature, namely to start a favorite application. By default this would be OneNote, which would suit me, except that the button does not start the application but some stupid dialog that wants to convince me to switch to a Microsoft Account (which I will refuse as long as I can!).

How can I adjust that button to trigger a real application?

DaveR12

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to assign the desktop version of OneNote to the Surface Pro's pen's rear button?

I believe the SP3 pen and Win 10 will only open the app version of OneNote (not the desktop version that is part of Office). My guess would be that without an MS account you can't open the free app version or it's not installed.

If you go to this article regarding the SP4 pen and the new ability to assign any app to the top button http://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-now-lets-you-customize-buttons-surface-pen you'll see that someone in the comments has come up with a way to get this update added to the SP3 pen. The procedure worked for me and I can now open any software with my Surface Pro 3 pen button.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I was the one that figured it out. BUT, I have to revise what I found... Don't do it.

Windows Update will figure out that you changed the drivers, and revert them back. When it does, you end up with some conflicting settings and your system will eventually start to blue screen.

So now our only hope to wait to see if MS will make an official change so we can do it properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans