Why has the Critical error. Your start menu isn't working. returned?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why has the Critical error. Your start menu isn't working.. returned

I have a Surface pro 3 and the critical error appeared some months ago. None of the suggested fixes in the forums worked and I had to reinstall windows, applied all the patches and reinstall all my additional software to get rid of the problem.

Now some weeks later the critical error has re-appeared. The Microsoft Internet Explorer short cut has also disappeared (thank goodness I have Firefox installed).
Cortana does not work, all the icons on the right hand side of the task bar do not work (clicking on them, nothing happens)
I cannot find the control panel.

This is very frustrating and I do not want to reinstall windows yet again. I am now regretting my decision to stick with Microsoft.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why has the Critical error. Your start menu isn't working.. returned

Please join and provide the following info:

1) Does this occur after you install a certain programme?
2) Anything shown in the event viewer at the time when this occurs? (accessible via Winkey+X -> Event viewer from the list)
3) Have you tried a system restore - not a factory reset but using the system restore utility?. (Winkey+X -> System -> System Protection -> System Restore)

Kosey126

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions
1) I installed several programmes and the surface pro worked fine for a few weeks. Also one or two Microsoft patches installed automatically after I loaded the additional programmes.
2) There are several entries in the event viewer but I do not have enough knowledge to understand them.
3) System restore button is greyed out so cannot activate system restore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel