returned to a burning hot surface

PaddiWaddi

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I just had my Surface for a little over a week. I did experience the usual bugs, but nothing that would render the device useless.
Today I left the Surface turned on charging. When I came back it got very hot to the touch, even the type cover was worm as a hot bottle. Other than that the device was quiet - no fan, but turned on.
Unlocking the Device made the fan kick on and the whole thing cooled itself down eventually.

I wondered if anyone else had this issue, maybe even reoccurring.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just had my Surface for a little over a week. I did experience the usual bugs, but nothing that would render the device useless.
Today I left the Surface turned on charging. When I came back it got very hot to the touch, even the type cover was worm as a hot bottle. Other than that the device was quiet - no fan, but turned on.
Unlocking the Device made the fan kick on and the whole thing cooled itself down eventually.

I wondered if anyone else had this issue, maybe even reoccurring.

Mine did that in my bag (very frustrating) when using sleep now I turn it off. LONG PRESS 20-30 secs or at minimum a short press off.

Cool as a cucumber now.

Surface should not go above 115 C according to MS rep at Microsoft Store..he said that is when damage can occur.

Last edited:

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Mine did that in my bag (very frustrating) when using sleep now I turn it off. LONG PRESS 20-30 secs or at minimum a short press off.

Cool as a cucumber now.

Surface should not go above 115F according to MS rep at Microsoft Store..he said that is when damage can occur.

F? or C? F is only slightly higher than the human body...

rexian

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
115?C? That's hotter than boiling water - how is one supposed operate a tablet that hot? Even my desktop CPU doesn't exceed 70?C when overclocked and Prime runs for a hour. 'U' version of the CPU should run much much cooler.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
115?C? That's hotter than boiling water - how is one supposed operate a tablet that hot? Even my desktop CPU doesn't exceed 70?C when overclocked and Prime runs for a hour. 'U' version of the CPU should run much much cooler.

115 something I forget what he said but it was 115 maybe it was F (back to F re-fixed) [checked Google] but thats only 46C so I think it is 115C (re-re fixed)..lets go with 115C final answer. Alex.

rexian

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Neither is right. According to below the junction temp is 100?C so no part of SP4 should exceed that.
ark.intel.com/products/88190/Intel-Core-i5-6300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Neither is right. According to below the junction temp is 100?C so no part of SP4 should exceed that.
ark.intel.com/products/88190/Intel-Core-i5-6300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

Tjunction Max Shutdown (THERMTRIP) Spec (100C) is reached, shutdown occurs which means it keeps it from damage at 115C but you continue past then damage probably occurs at or near 239F/115C

rexian

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Damages can occur anytime temp goes beyond T-Junction. Intel being the chip manufacturer, I'd trust their specs a little more than hearsay. This chip is designed to throttle at 100?C in hardware. In reality, it'll throttle much sooner - so 115?C doesn't sound right. In a controlled environment MS engineers might be able to override PROCHOT# on SP4 but that test will only certify a single chip / SP4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs