Finally picked up a Typecover 4 for my SP3

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
And holy moly is it an improvement. My biggest complaint about the Surface has always been the filmsy typing experience of the type covers. This is a significant increase. Spread apart & deeper keys, heavier and more solid feel of material, glassy and slick touch pad. It's perfecto. My only complaint is that it sells a bit funny...

It really does feel like a brand new device. If you're able to flip your type cover 3 for a type cover 4, i'd highly recommend it!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I recommend it as well, but the new type cover doesn't fit well with the SP3 docking station. Also, with the finger print reader, if you have the keyboard connected but the keyboard is flipped to the back, it won't turn on the screen until you flip the keyboard around because of Windows hello. These are only my two complaints. Everything else is vastly better.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I just picked one up today. I'm loving it so far, especially the touchpad. Much easier to type as well. I had to occasionally use some awkward fingering on the Typecover 3 keyboard; none of that is necessary on the Typecover 4. A worthy upgrade.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I recommend it as well, but the new type cover doesn't fit well with the SP3 docking station. Also, with the finger print reader, if you have the keyboard connected but the keyboard is flipped to the back, it won't turn on the screen until you flip the keyboard around because of Windows hello. These are only my two complaints. Everything else is vastly better.

I don't have the SP3 docking station, and I got the case without the finger print reader. So besides the weird smell, i'm loving this thing!

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just picked one up as well. No fingerprint reader, and I use the keyboard flat on the desk surface, so no problem with the SP3 docking station. Some key placement improvements, with the Vol Up / Down as keys, although moving the Fn key makes it now necessary to use both hands to brighten / dim the display. We got the PrtScn key back, although the Fn+SPACE was working fine. The key spacing is fantastic, and the smoothness of the touch pad is great. For the smell, give it a couple of days, probably just a temporary thing.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I had one of these but returned it due to a problem. I had the type cover 4 without the fingerprint reader, and noticed when I flipped the keyboard to back position to use as a tablet, it would take the surface pro 3 several seconds to come on. Take the keyboard off and turning on is instantaneous. If I put the type cover 3 back on, its also fine. Only see this with the pro 4 type cover.

Any of you experiencing this?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had one of these but returned it due to a problem. I had the type cover 4 without the fingerprint reader, and noticed when I flipped the keyboard to back position to use as a tablet, it would take the surface pro 3 several seconds to come on. Take the keyboard off and turning on is instantaneous. If I put the type cover 3 back on, its also fine. Only see this with the pro 4 type cover.

I haven't tried it. I typically just pop the cover off if i want to use it in tablet mode.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Yes I am

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm not either. But like Indistinguishable, I take the keyboard off if I'm using it as a tablet.

I'm really like the new type cover though. It is several orders better than the Type Cover 3. A much bigger improvement than from the Type Cover 1 to the Type Cover 2 when I still had my old SP1.

Getting the new type cover in conjunction with the new pen and my SP3 is now an SP3+.

Because Racecar

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Are you all able to flip your TC3 on the market? I'm in the consideration stage for an SP3, but the best prices are the bundles, though it sounds like the TC4 is so much better.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Are you all able to flip your TC3 on the market? I'm in the consideration stage for an SP3, but the best prices are the bundles, though it sounds like the TC4 is so much better.

I sold my TC3 on Ebay, and purchased a TC4 on Craigslist. It still ended up being $30 out of pocket. But still worth it for me.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I used the TC4 from my friend's SP4 and was baffled on how much a keyboard could be improved!!
I have the SP3 and, ok the TC3 is far from perfect but for my needs, it was more than ok until I used that TC4 :eek:

Considering the switch also but will keep thinking about it for some time :)

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the TC4 with fingerprint scanner. I'd not have it any other way. My SP3 is going back for an SP4 tomorrow, so it works out perfectly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes