Whats Apps Do You Use With Surface Pen Other Than OneNote That Involves Text Input?

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I am not an artist or a student. So, I don't find myself using any of the drawing programs or OneNote that much. I wanted to use the Surface Pen for other text input activities such as commenting on this forum. But in my experience, writing a comment on Firefox with pen input is somewhat frustrating. Most of the time, I face one of these problems:
1. The text field loose focus. So, whatever I write won't get posted. When that happens, I have to start over.
2. If the text field is towards the end of the page (such as comment reply), the input panel will appear all the way down leaving no place to rest my hand. Even when I try to drag it up, it sometimes refuses to move.
3. Sometimes, the input panel will jump around for some reason that only it knows.
4. Sometimes, the suggestions provided by autocorrect aren't what I wanted, and it doesn't give me any option to choose what it recognised.

There are few other minor issues as well.

I wanted to find out with what other software do you use the pen for text input? I know some of these issues are because Firefox is a traditional desktop app and it doesn't do justice to blame the problems exclusively on the pen input. But I have faced issue 3 with Word 2016 (desktop version) a lot as well.

Sharon Kay

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I am NEW to the Pro 4 having just got it about 10 days ago. I use it for the windows clipping function for watching videos for college; I clip a screen shot and then save it and use the pen to write additional notes on the jpg before I resave it...great for working with graphs and having to add notes!!

arnonuem

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Take a look to Lenovo's WRITEit app (I am not allowed to post links, yet. But you should find it via Google). Should be released February 19th to work also on other devices than Lenovo's. Maybe that improves the pen experience on the surface.

arnonuem

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
There is allready a beta version of WriteIt available that is not limited to Lenovo devices anymore. I didn't test it, yet.

hxxp://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=64537911&postcount=19

You need to change the hxxp back to http in the link above, as I am still not allowed to post links.

Edit:
Here is the related thread in the XDA Developers forum. In the latest post there is already a link to a newer beta version than in the link above:
hxxp://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-8-rt/microsoft-surface/lenovo-writeit-surface-t3032654

Last edited:

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Lenovo released WriteIt 2.0 today. But no support for non-Lenovo devices yet.

There were some reports over on redid that the company was going to release WRITEit 2.0 for all touchscreen PC, which would have been fantastic for Surface users. However, for now, that is not the case. The WRITEit page does mention "Expanded device support coming soon." so perhaps it is still on the roadmap (people who used it on the Surface reported some accuracy issues due to the extra hi-DPI did not account for in the app).

Source: Lenovo announces WRITEit 2.0 for their Windows PCs and tablets

arnonuem

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Let's hope they will also release it for other devices as they state in the FAQ section:

What devices are supported?
All devices that have a touch screen and/or active digitizer pens will work. This includes models that have been equipped from vendors such as Wacom and N-Trig. Basically, if you can touch your screen or write today, then WRITEit will work perfectly with your device.​

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a note 5 and samsung tab a, so Im used to using stylus. Currently using an app on my Tab (squid) as scratch paper for algebra homework or patterns for my hobbies. I tried using onenote and msword (lets you write with pen) but both had to many restriction, i ended up troubleshooting solution instead of doing homework.

Would be great to use something similar as squid on the sp4. Till then im still carrying around both sp4 and tabA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire