Article: Four Ways to Improve SP4 Battery Life

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
You should test the max CPU setting and see if Turbo is still entered. I had to set mine to 95% before I saw that it wasn't actually entered (use any appropriate app to CPU speed).

By setting the maximum CPU frequency, while on battery, to 99% Turbo Boost will not be engaged.

Davidz

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
You should test the max CPU setting and see if Turbo is still entered. I had to set mine to 95% before I saw that it wasn't actually entered (use any appropriate app to CPU speed).

Someone else made a similar comment after the end of the article in the link above. How do you know if the Turbo Boost has been turned off?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Use something like CPU-Z and GPU-Z these are freeware tools.

[WARN]For stress testing, Prime95 however be weary improper use may cause damage and throttling - use at your own risk.[/WARN]

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
CNET comments indicate that CPU-Z is loaded with spyware and malware. Thanks, but no thanks.

Lol, no that is probably the CNET downloader or they are downloading from dodgy sources or they are getting false positives.

I've been using CPU-Z for years.

Edit:

The only source is cpuid.com.

Last edited:

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Someone else made a similar comment after the end of the article in the link above. How do you know if the Turbo Boost has been turned off?

I used XTU (Intel Extreme Tweaking Utility), did a cpu stress test and observed the clock speed. I basically kept reducing the max cpu % until I saw a clock speed below the base 2.4. If it's above 2.4 (i5 model) that tells me it's in Turbo mode. When I got to 95% I saw a clock speed of 2.3 GHz (.95 * 2.4), so I left it at that.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I used XTU (Intel Extreme Tweaking Utility), did a cpu stress test and observed the clock speed. I basically kept reducing the max cpu % until I saw a clock speed below the base 2.4. If it's above 2.4 (i5 model) that tells me it's in Turbo mode. When I got to 95% I saw a clock speed of 2.3 GHz (.95 * 2.4), so I left it at that.

So for i5 you would suggest to set ti to 95%? Because i put mine on 99 and i feel the fen kicking in sometimes for no reason, and the device gets hotter than before i think... Should i change it?

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
So for i5 you would suggest to set ti to 95%? Because i put mine on 99 and i feel the fen kicking in sometimes for no reason, and the device gets hotter than before i think... Should i change it?

I would try 95%. I don't think 99 will change much. If you don't want to use CPUz, XTU, etc, you can open the task manager and go to the performance tab. Under the CPU on the left, you'll see the current clock speed. Open a browser or do something taxing and see if it goes above 2.4.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I would try 95%. I don't think 99 will change much. If you don't want to use CPUz, XTU, etc, you can open the task manager and go to the performance tab. Under the CPU on the left, you'll see the current clock speed. Open a browser or do something taxing and see if it goes above 2.4.

Thanks. I set it to 95% now. Now turbo boost will only kick in when really needed, so abowe 2.4 ghz right?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
CNET comments indicate that CPU-Z is loaded with spyware and malware. Thanks, but no thanks.

IMHO, C|Net is one of the worst places to download utilities. Most 3rd part "download havens" are bad. Always look for the source for utilities and programs. Especially freeware as it is often repacked into an installer that will bloat you into a nightmare.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I set it to 95% now. Now turbo boost will only kick in when really needed, so abowe 2.4 ghz right?

Turbo shouldn't kick in at all, and help with battery life by consuming less power. You aren't going to see an astronomical difference in battery life though.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So i turned the processor down to 95% with battery off, but if i restart it goes back to 100%, how do i get it to stick?

SteVae

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
i've added the new intel drivers, added hyperV in the turn on or off windows features, set my max proc power to 95 on battery, and 94 plugged in, and i am only losing every so slightly over one percent per hour in sleep mode. last night, i unplugged at 12:14am, and rechecked it today at 12:43 pm, and i had 87% left. that is a remarkable improvement over losing almost 8%/hr earlier. so yeah, i'll take it. i would like to get it below one percent, and hope the new m$ update will fix it once and for all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre