Bought my SP4 two days ago from the Microsoft store.

i7 16Gb 256HDD Windows 10

I used it for about two days without many problems. A little quirks here and there but nothing too bad. Then I updated last night and restarted the system. That's when the freezing began making the system unusable. I initially tried a system restore, but of course, windows told me it had failed.

I'll start it up, get past the login, try to get to event viewer or reliability monitor to check for any errors and the screen/system freezes before I can even get there! One time it froze as I was swiping up the lockscreen to login after a power cycle... I power cycle it every time this happens (hold down power + volume up etc). No fans turn on, no sound is heard, the display just totally freezes and is unresponsive to any alt + f4, ctrl + alt + del or anything else I try.

One thing I managed to do one time was open CCleaner and do the registry fix and system cleaner. That succeeded fine to my surprise. But then I tried the disk health analyzer within CCleaner tools. I clicked scan and after about 1/10th of the way the SP4 crashed completely to a black screen - didn't even freeze this time. Something with the harddrive? or firmware? or CPU? Bad RAM? I wish I could run tests to even know...

I'm about to head to the Microsoft store to swap it out, but I wanted to ask you guys if it was worth it?? Does any of this sound familiar to anybody? Does it sound like I just got a defective device or did the update kill it? If I get a replacement from Microsoft who's to say this won't happen again after I update? Did I buy an earlier bad-batch model maybe? I heard something was fixed at the factory to address similar issues but I figured this long after launch would be sufficient to not receive one of those bad models. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    01-18-2016 03:18 PM
    I would for sure replace it asap.
    01-18-2016 10:40 PM
    I have the same model as you and it seems with the complete black screens I had after switching on / trying to log in were firmware updates that were trying to install a day or two after purchase .. I left the device unattended for a few hours on charge and the updates installed eventually and then I had no more issues of that nature afterwards.

Every now and again the screen stays black now buy windows + p normally fixes that.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-20-2016 12:49 PM