Microsoft to recall some Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 Power Cords

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm definitely going to replace my power supply.

The sad part is I have 2 Surface Pro 2 machines and one of the power supplies went bad so I threw it away because I was going to buy a new one. So right now, both machines are sharing the same power supply (thank goodness for my battery type cover). I could've gotten it replaced for free. :cry:

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
WC reported on this as well Microsoft will issue a voluntary recall on some Surface Pro AC power cords | Windows Central and its actually for all models of the Surface Pro except SP4.
I have 2 dead power supplies from a Pro & Pro 2 that I'm hoping I can get replaced.

From Microsoft Surface Support Site:
"Microsoft AC power cord recall for Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and certain Surface Pro 3 devices

Get details and answers to common questions about the Microsoft Surface Pro AC power cord recall. Learn how to order a free replacement part if your Surface Pro power cord is affected.

Parts eligible for replacement

This recall applies to: •AC power cords for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 devices sold before March 15, 2015

This recall DOES NOT apply to: •AC power cords for Microsoft Surface RT, Microsoft Surface 2, Microsoft Surface 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3 devices sold after March 15, 2015, Microsoft Surface Pro 4, and Microsoft Surface Book
•Power supplies with DC power cord for all devices
•AC power cords and power supplies for the docking stations for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and Microsoft
Surface 3"
Link to Support Site: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...rvice-and-recovery%2Fpowercord&token=cgBtr5_h

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
abb399ad-5eca-4616-8771-6d6d778b48b4.png?n=Surface-power-cord-type-A-en-US.png
AC power cord

211dc2dc-6441-4215-9615-9ea0ae01afdc.png?n=Surface-PSU-type-A-en-US-red.png
Power supply with AC power cord on right

Yes, it only covers the power cord, not any of the rest of the power supply. So it wouldn't have helped me with my bad power supply (the connection on the other side of the power supply became frayed and stopped charging).

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have just had a really frustrating experience with Microsoft Support about this, we have about 70 odd Surface Pro 3s some bought after the March 2015 date and some before. However being a Enterprise environment the poser supply's have all been mixed up so I don't know which one came with which and they are not will to replace the cord for everyone. Now here is the kicker they tell me there is a physical difference between them but couldn't direct me to where on their webpage these images are. I have looked on the recall site and there is nothing about what you should look for. I can see a physical difference on the AC cord for the 4 but every 3 I have looked at has the same type of cord.

Anyone found images of the affected models?

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes they are UK models, would be interesting to see what the differences. I spoke to my MS account manager and he just agreed to send me 70 cables.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Took a quick snap, the new one is to the right. From looking at them, as an electrician, the thing which stood out was the lack of cable support on the original. This ties in with the report of failures due to cable bending, which I think would be more of an issue on US/European cables which the cable sits horizontally.

WP_20160128_22_18_05_Pro.jpg

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
They are generic power cords :unhappy:

As mine hardly gets moved and never twisted I'm still using the original.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to worry too much about this. The AC cord was the first thing to get replaced. I kept AC cords to some of my previous power adapters; which are a foot longer than the one Microsoft provides. Outlets are not always in convenient locations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro