Welcome to Surfacegate!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Wait a second. I'm a medical doctor. I don't need an uber powerful machine to do my daily work. I'm not reading film on my machines. In fact, at our practice we still have old Dell Latitudes on rolling carts. We used to have ancient Tablet PCs with Windows 7 which weren't very good for our work. As long as I have a good lightweight machine that allows me to easily write SOAP notes or progress notes and access the EMR/EHR, I'm good to go.

I would love for SP4 to be implemented throughout the facility.

Let's not confuse what is "mission critical." We are not using these computers to operate on people. Most of it is writing or typing. And in terms of reading film, you're going to use really nice monitors, not laptop screens. But even then, we've used far worse screens than the SP4 for looking at scans.

Davidz

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Wait a second. I'm a medical doctor. I don't need an uber powerful machine to do my daily work. I'm not reading film on my machines. In fact, at our practice we still have old Dell Latitudes on rolling carts. We used to have ancient Tablet PCs with Windows 7 which weren't very good for our work. As long as I have a good lightweight machine that allows me to easily write SOAP notes or progress notes and access the EMR/EHR, I'm good to go.

I would love for SP4 to be implemented throughout the facility.

Let's not confuse what is "mission critical." We are not using these computers to operate on people. Most of it is writing or typing. And in terms of reading film, you're going to use really nice monitors, not laptop screens. But even then, we've used far worse screens than the SP4 for looking at scans.
If I were an IT manager, I would be very hesitant to deploy 150 to 200 Surface Pro 4s in any work environment. Mission critical, in this sense, just means that the device is required to do your job. If it's your daily driver, in any job, I would consider that mission critical. When the user gets a black screen for no good reason who do you think they're going to call? And how happy are they going be when they make that call? Repeatedly?

I bought the SP4 despite its reputation for poor reliability. I use it when I travel (15 to 20 days a year) and playing around at home. I think it's so cool that I'm willing to take the risk of it failing during an out-of-town trip. I could probably survive that. But if I had to rely on it on a daily basis for my work, I probably would pass on it until something more reliable comes along.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Let's not exaggerate. The sp4 is not unreliable. It will not suddenly die on you. I use it as my daily driver. The only fault is battery life but it's been getting better.

Davidz

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Let's not exaggerate. The sp4 is not unreliable.
Microsoft wouldn't have made a public apology for the product, if it was reliable.

It will not suddenly die on you.
One already died on me. And many others can tell you their sad stories as well. Don't you read this forum?

I use it as my daily driver. The only fault is battery life but it's been getting better.
Well, perhaps you don't read this forum, because, if you did, you wouldn't have made that last statement.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
the fact it didnt affect the Broncos, tell you the Redmond team did it on purpose. lol.

bedsides, everyone think they are using ipads anyway.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
all the things you read in the forum are purely anectdotal, both the good ones and the bad ones. you're just choosing to pay attention to what you want to pay attention to. plenty of positive experiences with the SP4 whether you care to pay attention to or not.

Microsoft wouldn't have made a public apology for the product, if it was reliable.

One already died on me. And many others can tell you their sad stories as well. Don't you read this forum?

Well, perhaps you don't read this forum, because, if you did, you wouldn't have made that last statement.

DjeTe

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
My SP4 is fantastic. Never dies on me. The fan never goes of, sure the battery life could be better but are not really any problem for me right now. There were some issues before (graphic crash) but are now solved. Other than that the other small issues I have all seem to be related to Win10 and Edge.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Power, portability and longevity are not niche.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
I didn't say that. I said that firms like Motion Computing are niche because they cater to a specific market. Their products are top notch but they're not for everybody.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes