01-22-16 Firmware and BSOD

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My SP3 has crashed 50 times since the update (a power management failure), also, the system will not shut down or restart on its own. When I do go to restart or shutdown the screen goes black but continues to run, it will not shut down unless I force it with a 30 second push on the power button.
Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: I was able to fix these issues by doing a system restore to a point prior to the 1-22-16 update then re-installing those updates. So far all is well.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: I was able to fix these issues by doing a system restore to a point prior to the 1-22-16 update then re-installing those updates. So far all is well.

I'm having the same problem. How do I do a system restore? All I find is "Reset this PC" under Recovery in Settings.

Edit: I figured it out. Unfortunately, I have no restore points... :/

Last edited:

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That sucks, hope you find a way to roll back the last update, or maybe re-install the last one? Let us know if you get it worked out.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I'm contemplating just doing a complete reset. I'll give Microsoft a few more days to see if they get a fix pushed out. It hasn't crashed on my today...yet... My battery life is atrocious though. It's not evening lasting that long in sleep mode.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. How do I do a system restore? All I find is "Reset this PC" under Recovery in Settings.

Edit: I figured it out. Unfortunately, I have no restore points... :/
Yea... for some reason W10 doesn't turn it on by default, when you do a clean install. If you do an upgrade, it will be on because it carried that setting from your old O/S (which was turned on by default from W7 on up).

And yes, I found this out the hard way also. Once I figured it out, I made sure the first thing I did on a fresh install was to go turn it on.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... Microsoft just released Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124262). I can't find any info on it though.

I HOPE they addressed the issues that the previous update started.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got done doing a hard reset. My SP3 was overheating and the battery was lasting only a couple of hours while in sleep mode. Microsoft REALLY broke something in that firmware update.

Update: Hard reset complete. My SP3 is running much better now. It still had plenty of juice left after being in sleep mode all night. I'm not sure if it was the firmware or the updated Intel graphics drivers...or maybe a combination of both.

Last edited:

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I just got done doing a hard reset. My SP3 was overheating and the battery was lasting only a couple of hours while in sleep mode. Microsoft REALLY broke something in that firmware update.

Update: Hard reset complete. My SP3 is running much better now. It still had plenty of juice left after being in sleep mode all night. I'm not sure if it was the firmware or the updated Intel graphics drivers...or maybe a combination of both.

The firmware update which came out on the 19th was the issue causing the BSOD with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. To explain, in that update the Surface Pen Settings were updated from version 4.0.112.1 to version 10.0.302.0 and it is this update that causes the problems with a kernel power error. If you roll back the Pen Settings driver under the Device Manager > HID > Pen Settings from 10. to 4. you will no longer get the BSOD. I had the problem and once driver was changed back problem is gone. This solution was confirmed b y Microsoft Surface Support.

Here's a link to help explaining the fix for the faulty 1-19-16 firmware update: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/.../350beadc-d94d-4668-aae3-aae54e2431f7?page=11

Last edited:

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I saw that Microsoft pushed out another firmware update today. Maybe that was the fix.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

As posted above, the issue was resolved with the 1-22-2016 Firmware Update were they removed the erroneous Pen Settings driver and replaced it with the working one. If you are still having issues I would suggest a full reset including apps and settings. I did finally do this and my Surface Pro 3 is running without any issues.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
As posted above, the issue was resolved with the 1-22-2016 Firmware Update were they removed the erroneous Pen Settings driver and replaced it with the working one. If you are still having issues I would suggest a full reset including apps and settings. I did finally do this and my Surface Pro 3 is running without any issues.

Thanks. All is better now. The firmware updated fixed it.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. All is better now. The firmware updated fixed it.
Well, I guess I am corrected as to whether the 1-22-16 FW Update fixed everything. I had completed a complete reset and installed the 1-22-16 FW Update and this morning my Surface Pro 3 Blue Screened with the "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_failure" error. So, I called Surface Support and I am having my Surface Pro 3 replaced. I hope the replacement being shipped will resolve the issue and no more BSOD's will occur!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss