My Surface Pro 3 with BSOD replaced with a dead on arrival Surface Pro 3

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I received the replacement Surface Pro 3 and handed my BSOD Surface Pro 3 to the Federal Express driver.
I took the replacement Surface into my front room, hooked up the Surface adapter/charger and waited for an hour for it to charge.
I then pushed and released the power button and nothing happened. I waited another 30 minutes and tried again, still nothing, no backlight..just black screen.

So, I called Surface Support and went through all the trouble shooting steps for over an hour with the tech. Still nothing, the replacement surface was DOA, Dead On Arrival!

I asked about getting this one replaced and the tech told me they could not replace the Surface until they got the one that was being returned back to the return facility and checked in and they released the hold on my account for over a thousand dollars.

I said what! "you mean I am out about $2000 dollars and do not have a working Surface Pro 3?" They apologetically said YES, that is right I would have to wait.

Here I sit without a working surface and a $1000 plus paper weight sitting beside me.

Bad business for Microsoft to say the least.

I am a Technical Coordinator for a school district and this does not sit well with me. I have never had to wait to get a replacement for a bad unit....never.

Very discouraging to say the least.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I totally understand where your coming from and their side. However it would have been easier to get another shipped out to you although it means another hold on your account for the same amount.... I doubt they could put a hold of that amount on anyone's account. Unless it's a buisness with bulk orders.

Maybr take it into the store and take the support number with you. Explain what happened maybe they will help you out with a store replacement.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
You are right about that, they will not put another hold on my card. I do not know the why's.
The closest store is about 100 miles away.

I have been sick off work with a bad sinus infection and haven't felt like traveling, other wise I would have gone straight to the store for the original replacement. I purchased the extended coverage for my surface at the store.
I did call the store and they told me since it has an open case with the online support it is locked and they can not help me at this time.
You know about hind sight, 50-50.
I wanted to post this to let fellow owners of the ills and you can get a bad replacement.
I will not stop dealing with MS over this, as they are still a great company and have great products.
However, I will learn to think my steps out differently when getting service on my devices.
I requested a quote for a Surface Pro 4 bundle for one of the adminsitrators today and do not feel anything but it is a good decision for the administrator.
No one has a product like the Surface Pro. That administrator has one of the new iPad's and wanted the surface for meetings.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Update to this story. My replacement Surface Pro 3 started working by itself. All I really did after 4 days was push the power button and it turned on.
I did make a case with Redmond regarding the poor customer service that I received with the Surface Support team in the Philippines.
The replacement Surface I received is working flawless and much smoother than the original one I purchased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa