Can I use a USB DVD Drive with the Surface Pro 4 to play music or watch movies?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I recently tried connewith the Apple superdrive, and although it showed up under devices, it did not allow me to put in CD's. I have read that the USB does not supply a high enough voltage to be able to power an external DVD drive, though there many people who say it can. Is there a particular product that has worked for you on the surface pro 4, and could you supply the name of the product or web link?

mr_fomo

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I recently tried connewith the Apple superdrive, and although it showed up under devices, it did not allow me to put in CD's. I have read that the USB does not supply a high enough voltage to be able to power an external DVD drive, though there many people who say it can. Is there a particular product that has worked for you on the surface pro 4, and could you supply the name of the product or web link?

I've just tested my Samsung brand DVD reader/burner. Worked with both music CD's and data DVD's.
Model is: Samsung Portable DVD Write SE-208.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I've just tested my Samsung brand DVD reader/burner. Worked with both music CD's and data DVD's.
Model is: Samsung Portable DVD Write SE-208.

I have same model as you and it worked great with a single USB plug powering it.

Some other models rely on a Y power cable which I guess would work with the USB port on the charger?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes