Surface Pro 4 - Still the best 2 in 1 option?

mmyers750

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a 2 in 1.

I have two questions I hope forum members can help with.

1. Is the Pro 4 still the best 2 in 1 option? I know other manufacturers have come out with competing devices, but wondered what forum members thought.

2. For those who own the Pro 4, has the firmware update resolved the battery life issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I post everytime my Surface sh*ts the bed, and its been a lot recently (daily). It is an unstable mess, just came back from lunch, fans going, its hot, tried to wake it from sleep and it reset!! Lost the last 30 minutes of work. SP4 is a laughable daily driver, IT WILL FAIL YOU!

Rowenaldo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
My company provided me with my Surface Pro 4, so I have no bias whatsoever when I say to you that based on my experience and usage patterns, the device is just "OK". If I was personally shelling out $2k of my own money, I would want a damn sight more than an OK machine.

Nothing is really awesome about it, except perhaps the screen, but that same screen results in absolutely awful battery life that is genuinely around 4 hours max just doing basic web browsing and office docs on 75% or less brightness.

Performance is definitely poor compared to a laptop (I used to use a company MacBook Air), but I'm not sure how it compares to other 2-in-1 machines.

The machine is fine if I don't stray far from my desk and keep it plugged in, but as a portable device on the go, it's not something that I can rely on to open up with confidence that it's going to work or last.

If you plan on using the pen a lot, then it's probably a much more useful device, but even then on my i5 model, Photoshop doesn't perform particularly well compared to what I would generally expect.

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, I returned my personal SP4 cause I couldn't take the added disappointment of expecting more than "OK" from a $2000 purchase. Sadly, my experience has been way less than OK and borders on the worst PC I've used in decades. (BTW, 4 factory resets and counting)

Rowenaldo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
The funny thing is I haven't actually had any real problems with mine except the obvious sleep/wake issue (now seems to be fixed), and a really annoying "will it work? won't it work?" Windows Hello camera upon opening it up (still a problem).

The portability of the device is GREAT, but the overall performance is very average, and the battery life is really dreadful to the point I'm still constantly surprised when I get a battery warning after using it from 100% for just a few hours! I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you're buying it with your own hard earned cash, as you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere IMO.

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
The funny thing is I haven't actually had any real problems with mine except the obvious sleep/wake issue (now seems to be fixed), and a really annoying "will it work? won't it work?" Windows Hello camera upon opening it up (still a problem).

The portability of the device is GREAT, but the overall performance is very average, and the battery life is really dreadful to the point I'm still constantly surprised when I get a battery warning after using it from 100% for just a few hours! I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you're buying it with your own hard earned cash, as you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere IMO.

He's actually asking about the " a lot more bang for your buck ", care to share any options. you can get a SP4 with 8GB ram, and an I5 with 256GB SSD for 1199 from best buy / MS. Could you point him, and myself to other alternatives that offer those specs in the same portability for about that cost, that's better. Windows hello when it does work is awesome , so it will be fixed, as it's a software problem, so preferably something that also has the IR camera. Also, something that detaches from the keyboard, and has a way to include a pen on the device, or in the device. Any of those " more bang for your buck " 2-in-1's you mentioned will do :)

Thanks!

mr_fomo

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm really interested in hearing other alternatives to the SP4 as well.

Alternatives might be:
  • HP Spectre X2
  • Lenovo Miix 700
  • Dell XPS 12,
  • the so far unreleased Samsung Tab S Pro

Apart from the unreleased Samsung, all the devices above have been reviewed quite positive.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had to return my sp3 to bestbuy do to OS issues. And i spent over 2 hours look for alternatives even online. Sp4 was surpringly the cheapest one for what i wanted. I almost even thought of turning into an isheep. But even those were ridiculous priced with horrible specs. One of the HP 2/1 were REALLY nice, light, keyboard lit up, just had a $1200+ price tag. I dont need a workhorse laptop, i have a desktop, i just needed something portable and convenient. But needed a full OS incase i did need to work on the go.
I only paid $499 for my sp3 i3,123gb so coughing up another $400 for the sp4 yea i was mad at myself. I grudgingly open and setup my sp4. But honestly its amazing.

I REALLY wanted the Samsung Tabpro s but no release date. If its released within my return period. And its within price. I will prob return my Sp4 for it. Just because ive been having so many MS related issues. Not just windows but MS.

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Bringing back an old thread here... For background my first SP was an SP1 purchased at release time. To use Rowenaldo's term it was OK for the first year, then MS got most of the bugs ironed out after a year making it OK+. Even with Win8 on it I thought it was nice enough that I purchased an SP2 thinking MS had gotten all the bugs out. They NEVER got all the bugs out of it (mostly wifi and BT). The first was total garbage stability-wise, swapped for a 2nd one. I vowed never to get another SP. To this day the SP2 is a POS, thus I run Insider builds on it just to play around and offer feedback - I won't care less if it gets bricked. Just last week I broke down and got an SP4 i7. I decided that MS had finally flushed out all of the firmware and driver bugs that have plagued it not to mention Connected Standby (CS) and Hello and thought Win10 AU would be really nice on it. So far I am pleased; it has been better than OK, but not super fabulous. So... here are the impressions of someone who is not new to SPs (or RS builds) but is new to an SP that actually mostly works (not to mention a phone user since 6.5):

Out of box experience was nice. It set up like you expect a Win10 device to set up. Getting the pen connected and setting up Hello were fast & straightforward. I knew I would have to pull an all-nighter though - there would be tons of driver, firmware, and Windows updates, followed by a forced install of AU

First problem - unbeknownst to me AU kills CS on many SP4s causing them to get stuck in a high, constant CPU state - and mine was one of them. Searched the web, found a solution, did some regedits, rebooted, changed advanced power options, back to regedit, more changes, reboot. But did it work? To know for sure I spent more time on the web, ran some tests, and finally decided yes. But this one incident consumed several hours. Why MS can't get the out of box experience nailed EVER (except for mice & keyboards) is beyond me. Being an Insider since its inception I am not even sure how such an issue went unnoticed.

With everything installed and configured I am VERY happy with the overall speed of this thing. I do engineering tasks that are CPU intensive and this thing flies. I still can't believe it. It IS a dual core after all, but you would never know it. Pen works great. Display is wonderful. Fully adjustable kickstand is marvelous (my old SPs were only 2 position). Type keyboard is surprising useful, much better than in the past. And it works every time. CS is better than I thought it would be in terms of usefulness and battery consumption

Nagging issues:
1. Hello, which in the first days worked flawlessly every time (without training!) is now spotty. I have now trained it several times. Better, but not great. Not sure why it isn't as good as before.
2. Hello does not always work after coming out of hibernation. It gets stuck in a "getting ready" state, requiring an alternate logon. After that it is fine coming out of sleep, but again can fail after hibernation. I have given up using Hello on my 950XL, but I REALLY want this to work on my SP4 - it is much more useful on a PC IMHO
3. Today for the first time it totally froze. There is a known AU freezing bug - but this is not my issue since I do not have a second drive. This pisses me off. I have endured way too many freezing issues on my SP1 and SP2 over the years. If it happens a couple more times I'll send it back. Period.
4. Wireless SUCKS! Why MS has stuck with Marvell since Day One is beyond me. Is Marvell a major stockholder or something?
a. WiFi just randomly pukes once or twice a day. The only good thing I can say is that it does recover (unlike my SP2 which requires a reboot)
b. WiFi link rates are horrible. I never see better than 130Mb/s on ANY network. It frequently drops from 130 - a lot
c. Pair a BT device and you pay the price - link rate drops to 30mb/s, sometimes even less. I've stopped using a BT mouse and turned off BT as a result
d. It sucks equally in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
e. They say it is AC, but it isn't really capable of AC speed, even under ideal conditions. It isn't even capable of N speeds. They should be truthful and call it "G+" or something

This thing is SO close to being excellent. Maybe they'll get it there before freezes force my hand

Last edited:

Slyhippo

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I would still say the surface pro probably is the best 2 in 1 option but I guess it does heavily depend on the usage. I have a friend who is an architect and was very happy with it for work when going on site but has found having a separate tablet and laptop was actually more cost efficient in the end as you can really pay an arm and a leg for the highest spec.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Asus Transformer 3 Pro is a looming Surface killer. Won't know for sure until it comes out and people get to test them out. The specs look good and top the Surface in some areas.

mohdmanaz

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Apart from Asus Transformer 3 and Transformer 3 pro I guess Acer Switch Alpha 12 also has a competitive advantage over SP4 when it comes to price.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Surface Book is an alternative to Surface Pro 4. It technically is a 2n1. I love my Book despite the sound issue with the anniversary update. I just got my Pro 4 less than 24 hrs ago so I can not speak to that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo