External GPU Docking Station?

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
The detaching surface book proves that a GPU can be somewhat plug-n-play.

My surface pro 4's i7 and 16GB actually outclass my desktop, the only thing I need to switch over for at time is a beefier GPU. I would gladly pay a few hundred to have a docking station with a dedicated desktop GPU at best, or even just a 940M equivalent like the surface book.

Is there an obstacle to this idea I'm not thinking of? Anyone else want this?

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
USB 3 may not cut it, but what about the proprietary Surface adapter used for charging, and the surface dock? If I'm correct, I believe that's the same way that the Surface Book Connects to it's own base. Backwards compatibility for any future release like this would also be a huge +1.

I debating the SP4 over the Surface Book for a while actually, my final decision was based on the following:
  • I'm a die-hard fan and user of the Kickstand/Detachable keyboard functionality of the Surface, and use it as a tablet all of the time. Perhaps the biggest drawback with the surface book is that, like any laptop, the screen will wiggle when using it as a touchscreen upright. The surface has no motion at all using the kickstand, and is much better suited to curling up on the couch and using the pen on Staffpad (music notation software I use often).
  • The only benefit (that applies to me) of the Surface Book is the Gpu, and it's maybe between a 940M and 950M, not a 960M or 970M. That's not enough above the Iris 540 of the Surface Pro 4 i7 or close enough to my desktop 750ti to warrant the form factor trade-off for me.
  • The only reason I wanted the gpu was some gaming, and it turns out that one of the two games that I play, Arma 3, actually gets fantastic frames at low-medium settings because it's a CPU intensive game.
  • Lastly, the Surface Pro 4 is a 4th generation device, and the Surface Book is in its infancy. Whatever comes out this fall for SP5 is going to be much less of a step up from SP4 than I expect the SB2 to be from the SB. That's more of an abstract afterthought, but It crossed my mind.

What I really want is for the Surface Pro 4 to have something like this: Razer Blade Stealth Ultrabook and Razer Core External Graphics Dock

If that were the case, it would literally replace my desktop. (Do you hear that microsoft? The tablet that replaced my laptop AND desktop?)

fossefrem

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Although we could dream of MSFT providing an eGPU dock option for the SP4 we likely have to resort to a "hack" or a 3rd party option. I you come across anything please make it known.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
If the Surface Pro had a Thunderbolt 3 port then we could have seen a GPU dock. I'm doubtful there would be enough of a demand to warrant Microsoft creating one specific for the Surface Pro using the charging connector (not to mention I don't know what the actual bandwidth offered by said connector would be).

Imaginalex

May 20, 2016
Visit site
The actual charging connector of the surface pro 4 should be more than able to support the bandwith necessary for an egpu solution, the sp4 dock has 4 x high speed usb 3.0 plugs, an ethernet port, 2 mini display ports and an audio jack output.

in theory : 4 x usb 3.0 @ 5 gbps = 20 gbps ( more than enough bandwith to match pcie 2.0 in x16 mode = 18 gbps)
2 x mini display port 1.2 @ 17.28 Gbit/s = 34.56 gbps ( enough to match pcie 3.0 in x 16 mode = 32 gbps )
1 gbit ethernet port... Well... that's 1gigabit anyway...

The surface pro 4 connector is more than able to sustain the bandwith necessary to run an EGPU by itself, adding to that at least a 250 watt power supply (the sp4 dock already has a 101 watt power supply )

In theory it's already a possibility, it's just up to microsoft to MAKE one for the sp4. or open their proprietary sp4 port to third parties allowing them to make a egpu dock for it...

I own a sp4 i5 too, and it's the last step keeping me from discarding my desktop too, as it is a pretty powerfull machine, it just lacks that little plus that would almost make it the total all in one computer.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Asus Transformer Pro 3 seems to be exactly what you are asking for. It's a surface pro clone that has an external dock with a graphics card. Hopefully Microsoft will follow suit with the Surface Pro 5.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else want this?

"Shut up and take my money." Yes, I've been wanting this for some time. I love my Surface Pro (same as you, i7, 16Gb), it has the perfect form factor for me. But... It cannot run the Oculus Rift or anything else that needs a high performance GPU. A dock with an external graphics card would be the perfect solution (in fact, I'd like it to have a second, desktop grade CPU as well, if possible).

Now, if that dock could later be used with a Surface phone... now we're talking.

jo-pa

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Wow... this is crazy. As mentioned above the Transformer Pro 3 already has this functionality to connect to a gpu dock.

Jeff Haskell

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
I went with the Surface Pro 4 because I'm a writer and the detachable keyboard is the VERY best keyboard to write on. I write 3-5 thousand words a day and I've never had a keyboard that was as comfortable and easy, and wonderful to write on. Having said that, yes please, a detachable GPU would be great. Couldn't you connect it through the mini-display port?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion