Why did I wait so long?

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Granted I got it used on the fleabay, but I just got a i5 256gb Surface Pro 3. It's in great shape, came with a type keyboard, 2 chargers, and a warranty good through April of next year.
I got it mainly for Garmin's Basecamp routing software for use on the road. And I think that it will work great for that. Any recommendations on accessories that I should get? Since I'll be travelling on a motorcycle, the UAG case looks like the most rugged available. Any other ideas there? ?Also, it didn't come with a stylus. Is that something that is worth getting? Note taking is NOT something that I will be using it for. I got it for portability.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Definitely get the stylus mate. These are amazing versatile devices. And mine is just sitting there in a corner, sad and crying. Because I lost both my styli, and there goes my specific use case until I can buy up some more spares. The pens, imho, are some of the best productivity add-ons, onto these devices. But then again, I am borderline in the arts field. So YMMV. :)

-- W

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just did the same thing as you, mine arrives today. Hope I have a similar reaction! I too am wondering about a case. I am generally pretty careful about dropping things, but I would like to protect it from scratches too. The UAG does look nice, but you lose the use of the native kickstand.

wookiee2cu

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site
I have an SP3 Pro and the UAG case and I like it a lot. My boss got the SP4 Pro and there is a new UAG case that has a pen holder built into it, I believe both the SP3 and SP4 are the same dimensions but you will want to verify. There is no protection for the screen, just the keyboard when you have it attached. The kickstand has several positions available, I don't think you'll miss not using the SP3's kickstand. Also I see quite a few pics of slightly bent kickstands because folks are grabbing it in the middle and pulling it out allowing that thin piece of meta to flex and over time will have a slight warp to it.

As far as the pen, I never use mine but I do use the MS Arc Mouse 98% of the time. I tried the pen with Adobe Illustrator using the pen tool and it just didn't work that well for me (constantly creating accidental points). The pen is simply a personal choice.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
As some of the people here might lead you to believe, unless you are someone who takes notes/an artist who draws, I couldn't imagine the pen being useful to you. Sure it might be an "upgraded" touch thing, but would you seriously pay an extra $50 for a pen that only acts as an touch extender?

In other words for your use case (I assume you being a biker/using this tablet ONLY for travel), the stylus is not a worth it investment IMO.

For the case, UAG is the most rugged one I know. There are other rugged cases (such as Trident Cyclops), but they usually tend to fall either in the too expensive category or could-break-your-surface-due-to-tightness category. Also the UAG is the easiest to get/best bang for your back rugged case that's tested and true.

Asides from a rugged case, I recommend putting it into another bag that could cushion the fall from a bike, just in case (I do really hope not though). If you can't stand the trackpad (some don't due to its smallness), buy an Arc Touch mouse for maximum portability.

Also, for the last bit I'm recommending you to buy the Surface Pro 4 keyboard instead of using the Surface Pro 3 keyboard. The trackpad is 50% larger than the previous gen's and has smoother tracking. Also, the keyboard types more crisp and has less movement. In other words, the SP4 keyboard is a huge upgrade to the SP3 keyboard (if typing and using the trackpad is something you do often).

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I did buy a wedge mouse because it was small and only$18 on Amazon.
I did get a surface 4 pen, and it is pretty cool. I'll see if that impression late for my usage.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Granted I got it used on the fleabay, but I just got a i5 256gb Surface Pro 3. It's in great shape, came with a type keyboard, 2 chargers, and a warranty good through April of next year. y.

Did you buy from a private seller or more of a retailer? I am keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a SP3. Definitely prefer a retailer/refurb type of deal, tho.

Thanks
Sam

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine from Gazelle, and couldn't be happier so far. UAG case will be here today (Wimped out and got the black, but was leaning toward red. If blue was available for the SP3 like the SP4, it would have been a no brainer). I also put a Mr. Shield tempered glass screen protector on. Probably overkill on the protection, but it works well and was inexpensive. Also has a lifetime warranty, which I have used in the past and is super simple. Send them an email with your Amazon order number, and they ship you a new protector. Have them on my phones and my wife's too.

Battery on my pen is dead so I can't comment on that yet. The type cover 3 that came with my SP3 works for me, but if it didn't come with it, I would have grabbed the newer one.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I got the red UAG. It should be here tomorrow. The type 3 works for me as well. I don't type much, but if it gets to that point, I may upgrade.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad I got the UAG. It feels great and is lighter than I expected. The covered buttons feel good and are easy to use. Also doesn't interfere with the Mr. Shield glass screen protector.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Also, test the pen and give feedback when you can Ryan. Im a big proponent of the pen use-cases as Microsoft is pushing them, but then that also has a lot to do with the profession I'm in. So my first gen Surface Pro is sitting collecting dust simply because I misplaced my set of pens. But like the Panda man said, that isnt everyone's usecase. So more diverse input into the pen is always welcome, especially from different groups/sets of users. :)

-- W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720