SP3 screen broken - advises?

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Damned, my SP3 just felt on the ground..
The glass covering the screen is smashed on a corner and half broken (this is barely visible in fact). No other visible sign of the fall, the metallic case is intact, it powers-up, images are displayed exactly as before.
However, the touch screen works only on the bottom side (2/3rd of the screen's surface) and doesn't work on the upper part.
Anyone else got such experience?
I am going to have this glass changed, any experience with this, what costs should I expect?
If one of you got a SP3 repaired in Blegium, any suggestion of repair shop is welcome too.
Thanks. Pierre

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else got such experience?
I am going to have this glass changed, any experience with this, what costs should I expect?

Been there! Mine was in a bag but fel onto a corner and cracked the screen.

I sent it back to MS and they replaced with a reconditioned SP3 as they don't 'repair' them. That said it was just like a new one without a box! I had to send it back to Germany although it was freepost.

Cost ?260 though :unhappysweat:

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Been there! Mine was in a bag but fel onto a corner and cracked the screen.

I sent it back to MS and they replaced with a reconditioned SP3 as they don't 'repair' them. That said it was just like a new one without a box! I had to send it back to Germany although it was freepost.

Cost ?260 though :unhappysweat:

Thanks for advise. I order for swap service and my Surface is now boxed and ready to be UPSed to Microsoft Germany. It is indeed expensive - tried to find a repair shop that would just replace the screen but the only one found in Brussels area is quite expensive too (300+ eur +VAT). Therefore, I opted for MS repair service too then (my Surface was highest end at the time of purchase so it remains worth to swap it).
Thanks again, regards. Pierre

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I order for swap service and my Surface is now boxed and ready to be UPSed to Microsoft Germany. It is indeed expensive - tried to find a repair shop that would just replace the screen but the only one found in Brussels area is quite expensive too (300+ eur +VAT). Therefore, I opted for MS repair service too then (my Surface was highest end at the time of purchase so it remains worth to swap it).

I have been impressed by the service. Dropped by Monday last week to an UPS collect point, I received a replacement unit on Thursday afternoon.

One issue while reinstalling the brand new swapped machine: I started the process without the Type Cover keyboard and wen trough all updates, and configuration steps. When I decided to plud the Type Cover keyboard to resume installation of other PC-type software, my keyboard could not get properly recognized. It was powered and I could see backlighting but it was not recognized the way it should have.
Following advices on Microsoft blogs, I uninstalled the device that was detected, I made a hard shutdown/restart using the two-button method -
It did not helped. I called MS support who attempted very kindly to help me going again to above mentioned steps and finally sent me links to drivers which I reinstalled on the Surface but without success. They told me I could have to send the machine back again for a new swap.
Before doing so, I attempted a "reset keeping my files" step and - bingo - it worked !
I am now with this new machine and I have to tell it - Microsoft support and repair service was very good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss