Can I finally switch from macbook air to surface pro 4?

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean you can't lock and unlock it with power button immediately? I do it with mine...

Press power button. It locks. Press power button again. unlocks..Immediately
Seems this is because your power button is only set to turn off the screen, mine is still set to Hybernate.
Lol. No it does not turn on instantly. Hibernation actually saves the state of your computer to memory before turning off, and once the power button is pressed, it has to load the system state from memory. So yeah, that's not instant on.

Exacly. Maybe after today's updates i can set it to sleep again? That should be better right?

cwds420

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I've had a Surface Pro 4 for about a week now for much the same reason as you - as a practical alternative to my (heavy) Macbook Pro or (bad screen) Macbook Air. Up until yesterday I was pretty much set on taking it back - would reboot after sleep, not wake up with external display attached, lots of display driver reboots, and whatnot. The enormous package of updates delivered yesterday (Apr 19) appears to have solved all of these problems, at least for my use cases. Might actually get adventurous and try the Microsoft/Dell Dock again - previously it would lock up the machine in fascinating and seemingly random ways. If these driver updates fixed most or all of the issues; I'll certainly be keeping it as it's a very nice physical machine with a fantastic screen, great type cover; much nicer to use than anything Apple has came out with lately. Most of the issues appear to be Intel Skylake related; a Dell XPS13 I had for a bit had many of the same problems, as I would expect anything else released with this chipset. You would think that the most likely one to fix these issues in a timely fashion would be the Microsoft Devices - the way Dell had you update things was convoluted and backwards, cira 2000 or earlier; at least the Surface updates the Bios/Firmware with Windows Update.

So if Intel/MS have finally figured out how to write drivers for this chipset, I'd say it's a fantastic machine that should serve you far better than anything Apple currently has on offer. I don't see any signs Apple will innovate whatsoever in the coming years - they are just rehashing quite old and tired designs into slightly different packages. If anyone ever decides to write any software for the UWP platform (Enpass is about the only good example I found from the programs I use) the whole universal platform idea has a lot of promise; there is no way you'd ever see something similar come out of Apple or Android land, they are too large and entrenched. In the meantime the Win32 programs work well enough, if a bit clunky in places.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Lol. No it does not turn on instantly. Hibernation actually saves the state of your computer to memory before turning off, and once the power button is pressed, it has to load the system state from memory. So yeah, that's not instant on.

When you say memory, you mean hard drive not RAM right? :winktongue:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Because my surface is not set to hibernate when I press the power button... I said that.. It's in the last line of the post I sent...

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Because my surface is not set to hibernate when I press the power button... I said that.. It's in the last line of the post I sent...
Then your response was invalid, because the conversation we were having was regarding instant on/off being absolutely since release, and the SP4 randomly won't wake up unless you performed a hard reboot by holding the power button down for so long. Hibernation does not offer instant on, as it takes a few seconds to load the saved state. Thanks for playing though. 2/10.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Then your response was invalid, because the conversation we were having was regarding instant on/off being absolutely since release, and the SP4 randomly won't wake up unless you performed a hard reboot by holding the power button down for so long. Hibernation does not offer instant on, as it takes a few seconds to load the saved state. Thanks for playing though. 2/10.

Why would you need hibernation if you have connected standby enabled? If connected standby is not disabled and the devices does to "sleep", pressing the power button will wake it instantly. If you device is hibernating,(before being "asleep" for two hours) then something is wrong with your settings/configuration.. UNLESS, connected standby was purposely disabled in the registry.

Sp4 does not use the S3 power state. instead, they use the S0i”x” sleep state . AKA . Connected standby.

It seems to me that you are confused about how your surface is configured and what to expect from the configuration. From the get go the surface was able to isntant on once if it is the S0i"x" sleep state.

You also seem to be confused between sleep and hibernate.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Can you just briefly explain what the first thing does? I have no clue...
And yes, i use Ccleaner often, cleaning lots of crap stored on my Surface. I also set the CPU max processor state to 95%, so now the fen rarely kicks in when performing easy tasks...
After running those commands, each and every app that use .net will forcefully compile their native binaries instead of compiling it at runtime. This would speed up app loading and overall performance of the system. Think of it, like Android Runtime Files on lollipop and upwards.

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Why not consider using a Surface 3?

It's cheaper, gets about 6 hours of battery life, very portable and still quite capable. Coming from a notebook with an i7 and 8gb ram, I don't have any issues using it on a daily basis.

JaninatorXd

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
About the wake up problem... Is it that u press the wake up button and the screen stays "dark" (its black but its on)? I have a surface pro 3 and sometimes i wanna turn it on from sleep and the screen is on but its black and u cant do nothing, except turn off with holding power button. At least thats what i thought try the taskmanager keyboard shortcut when u encounter this problem ☺ works for me at least

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Were you using edge as the browser? if so, switch to IE11. I found that my battery life jumped massive amounts on all my devices running on 10. My 2 notebooks, and 2 surfaces were using edge first.....it was horrible.
That's what I am experiencing too. There are many Websites with heavy active content (Ads...), and Edge uses incredibly much more CPU resources than eg. Vivaldi, which is what I'm trying out now.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Were you using edge as the browser? if so, switch to IE11. I found that my battery life jumped massive amounts on all my devices running on 10. My 2 notebooks, and 2 surfaces were using edge first.....it was horrible.
Edge was unusable for me, so I used IE for the most part. Just try browsing WindowsCentral using Edge.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
They've been releasing a ton of updates lately (especially the past week). The SP4 just keeps getting better and better.

I think even Edge has benefited from the driver updates (especially the graphic-related stuff as Intel drivers are historically awful) as the fan doesn't seem to kick in as much.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Edge, has no ad blocking. Ads kill the browsing experience. Its horrible. I just use IE11 and its perfect. I pretty well double my battery life using IE compared to edge.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Edge, has no ad blocking. Ads kill the browsing experience. Its horrible. I just use IE11 and its perfect. I pretty well double my battery life using IE compared to edge.

Edge is about to get Adblock and Adblock Plus. Edge has a long way to go but there's no way I'm supporting IE. too many incompatibility problems. Firefox and Edge for me.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
To each their own. I am going by personal experience. No compatiability problems at all with IE, no ads on websites, no battery drain etc. Works great less filling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99