Surface Pro 3 ... would you still recommend?

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I'm considering a new-to-me laptop (eBay style) and am considering a Surface Pro 3, or Dell XPS 13, used or refurb.

I'm coming from an 11" Asus X205T (Atom processor, 2GB Ram, 32GB slow SSD). I do like this small form factor.

I'm not sure if I should go for the 4GB or 8GB RAM version of either machine. I really don't need a 256GB SSD (I'm managing with the tiny drive on the Asus and OneDrive). I would get the i5 version. Is 4GB enough RAM for me?

Main usage is word processing (which the Asus is managing just fine), web browsing / research (the Asus gets bogged down easily with only 4 or 5 tabs open) and light website design (making one-page sites with Mobirise and some ecommerce stuff using Ecwid, very light photo work using Pixlr online, and FTP... For these tasks the Asus is underpowered as well.)

I'm considering a used/refurb SP3 with the new style SP4 keyboard and pen, which I know may put me in 2016 XPS 13 price territory.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :)

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
8GB all day long (For me). It's all down to how you use your machine. As you're used to a 2GB machine, sure, of course, 4GB will be more than enough but as the SP is faster and more capable you might venture out to do more with it. If you can justify the extra cash then, yes, 8GB.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I've the i5 4GB version and have no issues with speed, I was presently surprised as the laptop it replaced had 6GB. I don't do any 'heavy' work with it so don't really stretch it much.

But if you can afford the extra then you'll never regret getting more RAM!

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about the memory, I've been using 8GB, no issues. The Pro4 Pen and Keyboard are nice upgrades, I would suggest both. In response to your original question, I would absolutely still recommend my Pro 3.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just a reminder that onedrive doesnt work the same in windows 8 or windows 7. I would go with the extra memory

Pablo Sormi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
No brainer - go for Dell XPS 13 or Zenbook UX305 from Asus.
8 GB, 10-12 hours of battery life, better display, newer ssd harddrive..

I had my Surface for 2y now - and sadly - I love my new Zenbook much more than SP3 which has many many software and driver issues which makes me angry every time i want to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon