Dual Monitor Setup - Surface Pro 4 & Desktop

petestl

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey all -
I have a new surface pro 4 on the way, and wanted to see if you all had any advice on dual monitor setup.

I've read through the forum and seen quite a few people having difficulty with using dual monitors with their Surface Pro 4 - from what I can tell, it is important to use an active converter if you are converting from the mini displayport on the new style dock (like mini DP to DVI, etc).

So, what I'd like to do is have a set of dual monitors that I can set up to run from both my new surface pro, and my desktop computer (gaming, etc).

I bought 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-Monitors-VX2770SMH-LED-VX2370SMH-LED-VX2270SMH-LED/dp/B00Z8WZ7KS

The issue I see is that these monitors have only 1 HDMI and 1 VGA, when I set them on on my desktop computer, I tried the VGA, just not crisp enough for working on daily without eyestrain. I'm now thinking about returning them for something that has 2 hdmi, or DVI or something better. I also considered getting a couple of switches like this, but I'm concerned they just won't work right, something like this: Amazon.com: Sewell 3x1 HDMI Switch with Remote (1.3b Compliant): Electronics

What do you all think? Looking for something in the 27" - 28" range, decent brand that hopefully will last a few years, at under $300, if not under $250.

Any suggestions appreciated -

Pete

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Would u be using SP4's screen or not? If yes, the best possible solution, although a bit pricey is the original Surface dock - there u have 2 active mini display ports, from where u can plug in ur monitors, and thats it. U just need 2 mini DP to HDMI (or whatever) converters.
If u won't be using SP4's screen, then u might pass with some converter that is mini DP to HDMI, and VGA (and both must be active).
I am using and old Samsung 22", 2232BW (1680x1050) and my SP4 with just a converter (bought it on some sale for 1.8€). The picture on the Samsung is great, and on the SP there is no need for any explanation :D

Also, the switch is a waste of money, cause it is only active on 1 channel at-a-time.
From my point of view u need the Surface dock - that is 150€.

tracker_141

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I use my Surface Pro 4 with a pluggable USB 3.0 dock, have 2 24" dell monitors, Ethernet, Keyboard and Mouse connected. Not the greatest but easy to go from portable to full setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster