Where did you buy your Surface Pro 4 and how many issues have you had?

1127bob

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I purchased mine from HSN online in February & have had nothing but sleep issues with this fn thing.If I close the lid half hour later it wont respond I have to do a reboot.I have reset this twice now.I am very disappointed in this piece of sh*t.Microsoft store is over 2hours away.

shawnthor

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I purchased mine from HSN online in February & have had nothing but sleep issues with this fn thing.If I close the lid half hour later it wont respond I have to do a reboot.I have reset this twice now.I am very disappointed in this piece of sh*t.Microsoft store is over 2hours away.

Did you restore the operating system to factory settings? Also, you can call them on the phone and they will walk you through a restore. If the restore doesn't work they should replace it.

Rastaman86

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Got lucky and bought mine, i5 256gb, off facebook for 260$ lol the lady had it posted as a SP3 128 gb and had no clue and i didn't either until i bought it and she handed me the box. I shat myself and ran as fast as i could lol. It still had the plastic on it, but the battery was dead and would not turn on, but just needed charged. After 2 weeks of using it, it wouldn't see the battery and died instantly when unplugged, called MS and they sent a replacement even before i sent mine back, luckily it had a 2 year warranty and was just bought in march. I tried to find ppl with the same problem but didn't seem to find any at that time. No problems with the new unit at all, love it!

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I purchased my SP4 on Amazon (seller "mojoacc") and it has been trouble-free. The first thing I did was a full reset, before setting everything else up and installing all Windows updates and app updates. I had read some threads here and in other forums about some issues, so I decided to be pro-active about it by doing the following:
  • Downloaded a clean ISO of Windows 10 from https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Ftechbench&token=xxOxJFqG (64-bit).
  • Mounted the ISO (right-click, select mount), then took note of the drive letter it was assigned to be used in the next step.
  • Opened PowerShell (run as admin) and ran this command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:WIM:E:\sources\install.wim:1 (Note: it did find issues and it corrected them).
  • Still in PowerShell, I ran this command: sfc /scannow (Note: again, it did find issues and it corrected them).
  • Restarted.
It has been running like a dream ever since.

shawnthor

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I purchased my SP4 on Amazon (seller "mojoacc") and it has been trouble-free. The first thing I did was a full reset, before setting everything else up and installing all Windows updates and app updates. I had read some threads here and in other forums about some issues, so I decided to be pro-active about it by doing the following:
  • Downloaded a clean ISO of Windows 10 from https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Ftechbench&token=ishSeNUL (64-bit).
  • Mounted the ISO (right-click, select mount), then took note of the drive letter it was assigned to be used in the next step.
  • Opened PowerShell (run as admin) and ran this command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:WIM:E:\sources\install.wim:1 (Note: it did find issues and it corrected them).
  • Still in PowerShell, I ran this command: sfc /scannow (Note: again, it did find issues and it corrected them).
  • Restarted.

Did you need to obtain a product key for Windows 10 Pro from your Surface to do the clean wipe? What is the tech bench upgrade program? Additionally, how has your battery life been?

Thanks.

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
You just go to the link and download the appropriate ISO. Nothing else needed because all it is doing is using that ISO to retrieve corrupted files.

Battery life hasn't really changed. I get 5-6 hours depending on what I'm doing, and that's after implementing the power tweaks here and here.

shawnthor

May 22, 2016
Visit site
  • Downloaded a clean ISO of Windows 10 from https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Ftechbench&token=s7a_iUkk (64-bit).
  • Restarted.

Thanks for all of the help. I have updated and installed software on my Surface, do you think this will do anything for my system? Also, when doing the scf /scannow, should the directory be pointed to the c:\ or c:\windows \system32? Been sitting at 11% complete the scan for a long time now.

Last edited:

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
How is your battery life?

I get 4-5 hours scribbling in OneNote, browsing, looking at pdf's, and using Outlook, Excel and Word mostly with pen input. I love cursive writing! I hadn't done any in about 20 years before I bought my first Surface two years ago.

If I decide to waste a bit of time with Solitaire, the battery really heats up and runs down very quickly.

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all of the help. I have updated and installed software on my Surface, do you think this will do anything for my system?
Hopefully. I had already almost everything I needed when I did it.

Also, when doing the scf /scannow, should the directory be pointed to the c:\ or c:\windows \system32? Been sitting at 11% complete the scan for a long time now.
Doesn't matter where you are in the PowerShell or Command Prompt when you run it. It does take quite awhile to complete.

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Best Buy, 4 total devices all abysmal and had all or most of these flaws:
- 1 device didn't turn on, Replaced
- all had severe light bleed around the edges - worst I've seen in a decade
- terrible power management, fans on all the time, Somewhat fixed now via firmware updates but different experience from device to device)
- audio popping, somewhat fixed but still happens when you change the on-screen volume
- the worst wifi performance I've ever seen in a modern laptop (last 5 years) my phone gets double the performance on the same network
- wouldn't wake from sleep or wouldn't remain asleep (hotbag) - somewhat fixed now but still happens to a few devices daily
- terrible screen flex under nominal pen pressure, you can see the typical lcd screen waves/discoloration while using the pen
- terrible pen lag, while tracing the pen across the screen in OneNote, lines lag a quarter inch behind the nib at nominal speeds
- pen erase pressure needed to be significant to work, Faulty pen, replaced
- atrocious battery life, half of what MS claims just browsing the web, There are countless workarounds including underclocking and feature disabling.

Overall it took 6 months for MS to issue enough updates to make the device usable. This will be the last surface I or my company will purchase. When behaving its not the worst device in the world

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Since BB was selling them for $150 off this week, I purchased another last night. Needed something to play with this weekend while i am off work on Friday. None of my previous purchases had the fan issue as others have discussed, I have bene stuck on the light bleed issue, when I think I will have to ignore if I really want a surface pro 4.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
So far this 4th SP4 I received this week has worked without issue from out of the box to setup. All my others would bluescreen during setup and had more light bleed than I cared to pay for. But in regards to light bleed on this one I just received, I cannot complain as where on my previous SP4s, the light bleed was really obvious. I could on this current one I just got say light bleed is not there on this one. Microsoft told me that there are SP4s out there that don't have the light bleed issue, and maybe I found one.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
So far all is still good. I have not yet experienced one BSOD, though it won't alarm me if it does, eventually anyone using a windows computer is going to experience a BSOD on occasion. But as of today, June 18, have not experienced single issue, even connected standby is working, no power issues. For a test of sleep mode, I disconnected my Surface from charging, closed the lid and then checked when I got up next morning, and I was able to wake it up without issue, Battery showed 100% upon wakeup. So it looks like there are some good SP4s.

Zandur Khan

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
Bought my Surface Pro 4 when released in Denmark december 2015. I have had zero issues with the device. Bought a Surface Pro 3 in the US early after release and that is also running without any issues. My Surface Pro 4 is my only and primary work machine.

shawnthor

May 22, 2016
Visit site
  • Downloaded a clean ISO of Windows 10 from https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Ftechbench&token=1rHqnDou (64-bit).
  • Restarted.

The link is not working anymore. Any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers