Should I get a used Surface Pro 4???

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I'm on a budget and would like to upgrade my SP3 (i3 64gb) to something that'll render video quicker, and perhaps give me an smoother experience. The SP3 isn't slow but occasionally an app will stop responding and need to be closed.

So heres what I'm looking at

A used SP3 ((i7 256gb 8gb RAM)) for around $700

A used SP4 ((i5 128gb 4gb RAM)) for around $700

A new SP4 ((i5 128gb 4gb RAM)) for around $850

I'm considering the SP3 because this is really about getting more power/potential (storage, speed, etch) rather than polish (windows hello, slight slimming down, more pixels)... I just really would still like the 4 due to the pen experience still feeling better imho on the 4 then using the new pen on the 3.

I really wouldn't like to but I could technically also jump up to around $1000 for the SP4 (256gb i5 8gb RAM)

I just can't decide whether or not that extra 4gb of ram will actually be worth it

W

Windows Central Question

Is 8gb of RAM worth it?

Whats overall the best choice?

A used SP3 (i7 8gb RAM 256gb storage)

A used SP4 (i5 4gb RAM 128gb storage)

I'm coming from a 64gb i3 4gb ram SP3. I want a better processor and more storage. Just an overall more powerful machine. Other than multitasking, I'm not sure what else 8gb of ram will do for me. My worry with buying used though is that I wont be able to get MS Complete, even though I doubt i'lll ever use it. Ive had my SP3 since late 2014 and its still perfect. I don't exactly walk around using my Surface. If I'm moving its always closed. I think id be alright without Complete.

Is there any good insurance for used devices? The only ppl I see who rate Squaretrade well are folks who've never had to actually use it whil those who have had major complaints.

I web browse, consume media, and produce media (photoshop, toon boom, adobe premiere). My SP3 does all of these pretty well right now.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The extra 4GB is a must. I'm doing some development with Visual Studio, PhotoShop, Illustrator and stuff with a SP4 i5 4GB and it is always not enough. I say go with the 8GB model and you won't regret it

I second this.

I'm not sure how much benefit the i7 has over the i5 here though.

I'm thinking you may also want to consider a secondary computer that's less sleek and with more horsepower so you can offload the heavy lifting like that video editing.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I second this.

I'm not sure how much benefit the i7 has over the i5 here though.

I'm thinking you may also want to consider a secondary computer that's less sleek and with more horsepower so you can offload the heavy lifting like that video editing.

for the same generation, i7 is more efficient than i5. But in this case I'm assuming the i5 in the pro 4 is of a higher generation than the i7 in the pro 3 so the efficiencies should be nearly the same

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Probably interesting for you is the comparison of SP3 i7 (4650U) and SP4 i5 (6300U):
UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-6300U vs i7-4650U

edit: And my next SP will be a 8gb version. 4gb are not enough for development/multitasking/virtualization for me. But since you already have a SP3 you should know if 4gb are enough for you. Just check your Task Manager during your work and if your RAM is enough, you won't need 8gb, unless you want to be future proof.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea