New firmware update available August 1, 2016

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I got two updates this morning - a last pre-Anniversary Update (or maybe "The" AU update) 14393.10 but more specifically a new firmware upgrade dated August 1, 2016. No information available yet re its content. Speculations spread regarding a potential solution for the recently described battery issue but also any last minute update linked to AU... wait and see... comments appreciated.
x1.png
x2.png

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
This one, and the last one, downloaded and installed on my Surface Pro 3, twice each (so far).

In the past, I've seen a firmware update download and install multiple times, 3, 4 or more. Every time reported as "successful" but obviously not really.

You would think once would be enough times to install a "firmware update" because the firmware surely didn't roll back to the previous version by itself.

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft posted update history page:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ctivate%2Fpro-3-update-history&token=hPUD_1qe

“System Firmware Update – 8/1/2016” or “System Hardware Update – 8/1/2016”
  • Surface Pro UEFI
    v3.11.1550.0 improves stability and performance when changing between power states.
  • Surface Pen Settings
    v12.0.303.1 improves system stability with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
I don't see anything related to the battery issue nor the Type Cover 4 on Surface Pro 3 issue which is another recurrent problem posted by many users.

Last edited:

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
For some reason my SP3 isn't seeing the 8/1 firmware update; previous one was installed. Nor do I see the anniversary update.

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
For some reason my SP3 isn't seeing the 8/1 firmware update; previous one was installed. Nor do I see the anniversary update.
For the 8/1 firmware update, I believe it should be part of the deployment strategy to spread the rollout over a few hours or days.
Regarding the Anniversary Update, I am not sure I got it. I got a 14393.10 update (I am insider and switched to Release Preview mode a few days ago) but nothing enables me to identify this version as the final main stream Anniversary Update.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Nothing today via clicking Check for updates so a little below there was "Learn more" link which took me to Windows 10 update history page (in IE, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client) which provided a download to install the anniversary update.

The update went smoothly and after everything was completed, Windows Update had the 8/1 firmware update ready to install.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Nothing today via clicking Check for updates so a little below there was "Learn more" link which took me to Windows 10 update history page (in IE, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client) which provided a download to install the anniversary update.

The update went smoothly and after everything was completed, Windows Update had the 8/1 firmware update ready to install.

primortal, thanks for the tip...after reading your post, I went to the "learn more" link; started the process, but ran into a "Something went wrong" error message, hit retry three times. 3rd time was the charm,and all went through; afterwards did a check for updates...and their was Firmware update 8/1.

SP3 seems to be running well.... for the time being:)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I got the update on day 1. I have to say, NICE. My SP3 is lasting a whole lot longer on battery power. The system runs cooler, less fan noise, etc.

But once I plug in the power cord, things start to ramp up as the system gets warmer and the fan kicks in. But it isn't as bad as before, where the fan was nearly always at max speed, and the back was darn near to hot to touch. It's just as good as it was, or even slightly better than W8.1

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I got the update on day 1. I have to say, NICE. My SP3 is lasting a whole lot longer on battery power. The system runs cooler, less fan noise, etc.

But once I plug in the power cord, things start to ramp up as the system gets warmer and the fan kicks in. But it isn't as bad as before, where the fan was nearly always at max speed, and the back was darn near to hot to touch. It's just as good as it was, or even slightly better than W8.1

some process runs when system is plugged in? Maybe antivirus updates or scanning or something

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I wonder why mine is doing the same thing.... I I waited til July 25th, to upgrade to windows 10 and windows update has nothing new for me since then :D

Hope the anniversary update fixes it. I really don't want to do a refresh.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
some process runs when system is plugged in? Maybe antivirus updates or scanning or something
Yea, I think the normal "system maintenance" processes (MS Defender, disk, etc.) kick in when it's plugged in. Which is perfectly acceptable since it's on power and not sucking the life out of the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss