EMBARASSING and APPALLING - That's what my Surface Pro 4 is.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I am extremely angry and upset. I have recently bought a Surface Pro 4, the latest MS has to offer.
But I am sorry to say, my 6 year old iPad Mini works far better than this piece of S word.

I am on the Anniversary Update. And it has nothing but caused a lot of issues since the update.

Issues in particular:

SKYPE DOESN'T LOAD/WORK

SOUND DOESNT WORK

YouTube Videos don't play

Multimedia Files Dont play from the hard disk

This is NOT what I expected from a company that has all eyes on it.

Honestly, this is the last chance I wanted to give Microsoft, before running as fast as I can to another camp. And guess what, time to bring those running shoes out.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you download another browser like firefox, chrome or even use internet explorer does youtube work?

What do you mean that sound doesn't work, sometimes the video that is playing has its own controls, you will have to unmute it there. Skype works just fine, but the messaging and skype app does not work and is being discontinued. Just download the most recent version of skype from the Windows Store.

What type of multimedia files are not playing? You possibly might need to download the correct player based on the file type.

I hope your running shoes are comfortable.

borgeindergaard

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
It sounds like you either got a bad one, or that you need to do a refresh of the OS installation.
I recently got a SP4 myself, and did a fresh installation of the Win10 AU update, and everything has been working perfectly.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you either got a bad one, or that you need to do a refresh of the OS installation.
I recently got a SP4 myself, and did a fresh installation of the Win10 AU update, and everything has been working perfectly.

There are three kinds of refresh. Which one did you do? And which one should I? I don't mind doing it TBH. Also, the last couple of days its working fine. TOUCHWOOD!

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Normally it would take some times to update/ settled down. There are a lot of things happening between its first launch and the currently more stable situation.

If it works well after the first run-in days, that is normal.

Posted from my Surface 3 running W10

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Complete wipe and start clean. Its the same with a phone. A corrupt install doesn't reflect an entire line of products. When you have that many issues, its either that and will be fixed with a TOTAL wipe, or its the hardware. That's why they come with warranties. If the issues you were having were wide spread, like the bios/driver issues when it was first released, the haters would have eaten that up. But its not typical, which is why they are selling so well, unlike the phones, because of advertising. Go figure!

pwscott

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
There are three kinds of refresh. Which one did you do? And which one should I? I don't mind doing it TBH. Also, the last couple of days its working fine. TOUCHWOOD!

If it's working fine now, you might consider going back and changing the title of your somewhat DRAMATIC post with mostly caps in the title. It's the first thing visitors to the forum are seeing and it seems like it's not quite indicative of where things really stand for you. Just a respectful suggestion...take it or leave it.

borgeindergaard

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I actually made a USB installation media of Win10 AU from the ISO, and completely reformatted and partitioned the SP4 harddrive and reinstalled completely from scratch... Then I installed the Surface update packages from here https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D49498&token=lFoy2oVP and did a full Windows Update after that.

It might be oldfashioned, but it works.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Surface Pro 4 - After the initial stutter..Things are smooth.

Took the suggestion the member who advised renaming the post. I agree with him/her.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If it's working fine now, you might consider going back and changing the title of your somewhat DRAMATIC post with mostly caps in the title. It's the first thing visitors to the forum are seeing and it seems like it's not quite indicative of where things really stand for you. Just a respectful suggestion...take it or leave it.

Er..how? I tried by clicking on 'Go Advanced' but don't see the option. Any help?

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Absolute trash. I should have bought a Mac. Horrible product. I reset the machine. Factory reset so all data gone. Guess what. The EXACT Same issue still persists. Never buying another MS product ever again.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to Microsoft Support. They suggested I do a clean flash from a USB, hopefully eliminating the issue. Now what he said next, made me a little uncomfortable. He said we will replace it, BUT, the replaced device MAY NOT be a brand new device. I don't know why and I don't know how. Because it makes absolutely no sense in giving away my one month old device for a second-hand/refurbished piece, that too at the price of a BRAND NEW one.

What do you guys think? Is it how it is?

mike-berry

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I honestly think you should go back to your iPad mini.

My suggestions are:

What browser are you using?

Which Skype application are you using?

What playback application are you using?

Maybe using a full fledged OS is too complicated for you.

I love my surface to death.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss