Mini DP Vs HDMI - 27 inch Monitor

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
does the mini dp convert to hdmi? If yes, the converting part might fail. the more components, the higher the chances of failure.

however, getting the mini dp to hdmi has a benefit of working for many tvs and screens since so many have hdmi

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
does the mini dp convert to hdmi? If yes, the converting part might fail. the more components, the higher the chances of failure.

however, getting the mini dp to hdmi has a benefit of working for many tvs and screens since so many have hdmi

I don't think it will fail as I currently have a mini dp to hdmi apater and plug in hdmi cables to it with no problem.

I'm also not concerned about other TV's/screens .

My question is really about the difference between mini dp to mini dp vis mini dp to hdmi

jo-pa

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
If a dock had an hdmi port it would save me from buying any mini dp port cables etc... as I already own HDMI cables I could plug into and hook into my tv

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Jo-pa, open your own thread if you have a question. The poor OP can't even get an answer before you start hijacking his thread.

To answer the OP's question...

The short answer is that there really is no difference in practice in most cases.

The longer answer is that DisplayPort is a more modern and more capable standard than HDMI. DisplayPort supports higher resolutions, higher bit depths, and in some cases multiple monitors through 1 connection. Display port outputs tend to be more versatile because they can be converted to pretty much any other format via fairly cheap cables or adapters. The opposite is not always as easy. Having said that, HDMI is very capable and it's safe to assume that HDMI meets or exceeds the capabilities of the monitor (otherwise, it would come with a different input option, right?). Therefore, it is nice to have DisplayPort on the output device for better versatility and future proofing. On the input device, digital DVI, HDMI, and DP are all fine since they will be matched to the capability of the monitor anyway. Incompatibilities are possible, but they usually happen with older monitors that have analog DVI inputs or were based on early (probably not well proven at the time) DVI/HDMI standards.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Jo-pa, open your own thread if you have a question. The poor OP can't even get an answer before you start hijacking his thread.

To answer the OP's question...

The short answer is that there really is no difference in practice in most cases.

The longer answer is that DisplayPort is a more modern and more capable standard than HDMI. DisplayPort supports higher resolutions, higher bit depths, and in some cases multiple monitors through 1 connection. Display port outputs tend to be more versatile because they can be converted to pretty much any other format via fairly cheap cables or adapters. The opposite is not always as easy. Having said that, HDMI is very capable and it's safe to assume that HDMI meets or exceeds the capabilities of the monitor (otherwise, it would come with a different input option, right?). Therefore, it is nice to have DisplayPort on the output device for better versatility and future proofing. On the input device, digital DVI, HDMI, and DP are all fine since they will be matched to the capability of the monitor anyway. Incompatibilities are possible, but they usually happen with older monitors that have analog DVI inputs or were based on early (probably not well proven at the time) DVI/HDMI standards.

Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05