Bought the Power Cover, won't actually charge my SP2, reports a faulty 0% charge

Anubis4574

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
My power cover 'works', I'm using it to type right now. It also charges and displays the second battery in the battery menu like it should. It tells me when the Power Cover reaches 100% charge.

The issue - I fully charge the Power Cover, disconnect it, stop charging my SP2, and when I reconnect the Power Cover to charge the SP2 on the go, the cover only shows up at 0% charge and never actually succeeds at the goal to prolong the battery life of my SP2.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
if you recently bought it, you could try getting a replacement
On the MS website, there was mention of updates being needed for best performance, have you tried checking for updates?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Power Covers were not made in a long time. So they're all old. Batteries lose life over time even when not used. So you may have gotten a bad battery that's on its last legs. If your power cover reaches 0% without actually being used or connected to the SP2, it definitely cannot hold a charge any longer.

The power cover is not designed to charge the Surface Pro 2. It's a second battery. So you connect the keyboard and you'll see 2 battery indicators: for the SP2 battery and for the power cover. The SP2 will first draw from the power cover. Once that reaches 0%, it then draws from the internal battery. I still have my power cover for my SP2. Built like a brick so makes typing easy. battery doesn't last that long. but it does make a difference to the SP2 battery life.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
You need to do a windows update while connected. My power cover still works, on my pro 4

that's not possible. The power cover was only compatible with Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2. The Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4 do not have the physical connectors to connect to the battery in the keyboard. While the keyboard part will work, the power cover will not power the SP3 or SP4.

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
that's not possible. The power cover was only compatible with Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2. The Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4 do not have the physical connectors to connect to the battery in the keyboard. While the keyboard part will work, the power cover will not power the SP3 or SP4.

Of course it works on PRO 3 and PRO 4, and yes they have physical connectors. Only Surface 3 and the PRO 4 with "Core M" is not compatibile with power-cover.
There is video of using Power-Cover on the Surface Pro 3 :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWs7jUePzM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo