SP2 Trade-in program

abrichman

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a SP2 that had been running flawlessly until a battery issue recently (seems to have since recovered). When I reached out to MS to find out what my options are, I got some very disorganized responses. Was told:
* I could send in my SP2 and for $599 have my data moved over to a Remanufactured SP2 (this from an in-store person) but was told not to do it (by same associate).
* I could request a replacement for $699 and get a replacement SP3 but with the same specs as mine (e.g. core i5, 8GB, 256GB) and no option to bump up in specs but could only do this via phone and it had a 1 year warranty. Insist upon clearing the SSD before sending in.
* I could request a replacement for $699 and get the replacement SP3 but should do it online, however when I go to the URL, it says it's an SP2 replacement. When I ask the tech support person, she said that it does say that but it's really a Surface 3 .... upon much dialog, she corrects to SP3, and states emphatically it's a 90-day warranty.

I asked the tech support person on call 2 (bullet 3) to clarify the 90 day warranty vs the 1 year I got on the previous call and was told that's just what it is. They could not produce any documentation that states it's a SP3 as it does say SP2 on the site. Does anyone have any experience with this process and can clarify?

Ironically, the battery has since recovered and back to getting near 5 hour battery life which makes it a non-issue today but I would like to know more about the process if anyone has been through it (recently).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So if you return the device - you still have to pay for the new one? I think you can get a new device for the same prices after getting discounts or offers

abrichman

May 28, 2015
Visit site
So if you return the device - you still have to pay for the new one? I think you can get a new device for the same prices after getting discounts or offers

This is a three year old device. You can return it due to the defective battery and they replace with a SP[magic number here] for $699, or you can trade it in for like $100 toward a new device with no restrictions. Two different routes. Trying to find someone that has gone through the former as it's not documented (or at least what they are saying is not documented or particular to the warranty, conveyed consistently).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923