Unbelievably Bad Warranty Repair Experience

Xcurrent

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Long time lurker here but first time post. I wish it was under better circumstances. First off, let me say I have been a user of Microsoft products since 1986 and while suffering through numerous blue screens of death etc, I have generally been very satisfied.

I purchased my Surface Pro 4 in Sept of last year. I also own a Surface Pro (first version). After suffering through a series of software related issues and subsequent software revisions, the unit settled down and has operated without flaw. Last month, I started to notice some hang-ups with the touch screen i.e. the embedded screen. At first it was a couple of stubborn keys that required a couple of taps to register but in a couple of days the problem impacted the center of the digital keyboard . I performed a complete reset but to no avail. I then called MS Support and after an hour of trouble shooting via remote access, the tech determined it was a hardware problem and said they would replace the unit. I had to give him my credit card so they had a means to collect in the event I didn't return the old unit. Totally fair in my opinion.

I received a new unit and sent the old one back to Microsoft. The unit was received by MS and I didn't hear anything from them at all. Two days ago while getting ready to pay my credit card bill, I noticed I was charged for the replacement unit. I called up Microsoft via the tech support line which was still active i.e. free and I asked what was going on. I was told that the screen was cracked and there was a dent on the corner of the unit and it was not covered by warranty and therefore the charge. Mind you they charged me full price for the unit minus the pen etc.

Well, needless to say, I was upset because when I shipped it in their box the screen was intact and there was no "dent". With that call, I was referred to their escalation dept. I was then contacted via email by a person know as " Max" who again reiterated that the screen was damaged but provided no further remedy except I could call tech support again.

When I attempted to contract support again the next day I found out that my original unit (returned) was no longer in warranty and I would have to pay 99 dollars to talk to someone about the problem. I wrote "Max" stating that I was never told of the suspected damage, at no time was I provided any proof of the cracked screen or dent and had I known that I was going to be charged full price for a replacement unit, I would have purchased a new one with a full warranty i.e. the warranty on my replacement unit (which I paid full price for) expired at the same time as the first unit.

With no response forthcoming form "Max" I spent $99 to call tech support again (what a dope I am) . I politely explained my problem and I was assured that "Max" would contact me by phone.

3 hours later I received another email from "Max" indicated that the previous explanation of a cracked screen was in error that it was now a problem with the charging port and MS was not responsible. Max told me that it was impossible to return my old unit as they " are automatically chunked and sent to scrap". At the minimum. I felt that since I was being charged full price for a replacement unit I should get my old unit back and the new unit should come with a current warranty. I then informed "Max" via email that I would like a return authorization for the replacement unit and full credit upon receipt. I stated I would pay for the shipment. To date, I have no response.

So right now I'm at a loss on how to rectify this situation short of filing a dispute with my credit card company. Any advice would be appreciated. rob

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Microsoft has been exactly opposite, especially with the Lumia warranty claims. Anyways, did you try explaining that the UPS / carrier might be at fault for the damage to begin with? Also keep escalating, they usually are pretty good at resolving escalated cases quickly. Also try to go a Microsoft store and talk to the store manager, it might help.

Xcurrent

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Panka, Up to now I've had no negative experiences, I asked about the possibility of shipping damage but I was told that it wasn't caused by shipping. That was my first response when I was told the screen was cracked. But as I mentioned that proved to be in error and it was now a charging port issue. I'd like to escalate it higher but I'll go broke trying to talk to someone. I spent $99.00 last night only to discuss the issue for 5 mins only to be told that someone would call me, which didn't happen. I'll try the store. It is 40 miles one way so it is my last resort.

By the way, all of my experiences 3 total with tech support (other than this one) have been positive even if they couldn't fix the problem. The replacement unit I just received got stuck in a windows defender update loop soon after I turned it on for the first time and after trying everything online I called tech support, she couldn't fix it but she gave it a good try but in the end I ended up reinstalling Windows .

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
This is one creepy story..and the part that you paid $99 to talk to someone is outrageous in my opinion. I hope that you will solve this in your favor.

Xcurrent

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Grodelj, Thanks. As I mentioned, I felt like a chump when 3 hours after I was promised a return call, I got a another SOL email. What chuffed me as well is that when I first called up to question the charge, MS's website showed I had two Surface Pro 4's. The one that I sent back was listed as in repair, the other was in my possession. After my call, the website was changed to drop the one in repair and end the warranty on the first and second one. Hence my second phone call which cost me $99.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a frightening experience too, but with better outcome. My previous device (SP3) suddenly died one evening. I was just loging in when the screen went black. It was dead. No combination of buttons worked, charing did not work, nothing. Completely dead. I sent it for repair and after two days I saw, that warranty has "expired on 1.1.1900" and "device is on the way back to user" or something similar. I was scared that they cancelled my warranty for some reason. When I received the device it was repaired, it worked, but the warranty status was still "expired on 1.1.1900". I searched for support contact, couldn't find anything useful. But at the end I managed to solve everything on German MS webstore chat. Representative was very friendly, reset the warranty status and even prolonged my warranty for 1 more month.

I thought I would share this, maybe it can help you somehow, I don't know:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos